Default What's your list of must haves?

Hello Moomba Family,

My family and I are making the transition from a deck boat to a wake surf boat. While we think there are definitely things we will miss about deck boats, the kids are getting older and wake boarding and wake surfing are more of what we want to be doing. So we aren't new to boating, but every boat has that list of must have items to make time on the water the best. Our old boat was a very shallow draft so to anchor up we needed two points all the time, so having an auger and an extra anchor line was a "must have". To start our new life with our 2021 Moomba Makai we purchased a box anchor, some of the flat fenders (to replace our typical round ones and 1,000 lbs of lead wake ballast. Anything else we need to make sure we have? Just as added information, our typical trip is trailer the boat to a lake where we can rent a slip for a long weekend or week so our boat doesn't live on the water.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clzipper View Post
    Hello Moomba Family,

My family and I are making the transition from a deck boat to a wake surf boat. While we think there are definitely things we will miss about deck boats, the kids are getting older and wake boarding and wake surfing are more of what we want to be doing. So we aren't new to boating, but every boat has that list of must have items to make time on the water the best. Our old boat was a very shallow draft so to anchor up we needed two points all the time, so having an auger and an extra anchor line was a "must have". To start our new life with our 2021 Moomba Makai we purchased a box anchor, some of the flat fenders (to replace our typical round ones and 1,000 lbs of lead wake ballast. Anything else we need to make sure we have? Just as added information, our typical trip is trailer the boat to a lake where we can rent a slip for a long weekend or week so our boat doesn't live on the water.

Thanks
    I would recommend a shore spike and two Danik hooks to go with that box anchor. You may find that the inflatable ball style fenders help protect your boat from dock or rafting up damage better than the flat style and they can deflate for easy storage.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

If you haven’t already put one on the boat, a first aid kit is a necessity IMO!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

We have also found as mentioned above the ball style fenders (babz or similar) work better than traditional 6" x 20" round fenders do as the shape of the hull doesn't work well with the smaller ones. 6ft bunge lines are nice to have as well. Yep first aid kit is a must with some Tylenol & tums. Its not the easiest to reach, but tie your anchor off the bow eye and it will stay anchored in any wind. Take your time getting use to docking / loading it, going from a deck boat to a Makai is going to take you a bit to get use to. Handles like a small boat under way and will turn on a dime, (course I'm use to a wake boat, just smaller) but at idle its a big boat thats more fineness. Congrats on the new boat by the way.

So from the previous boat life, we still have the bungee style dock lines. We like those and they are great with the sand sharks in the shallows. We have extreme max fenders but these are unproven on the Makai. The Mission style ones were really catching my eye. They look crazy functional, but I don’t know anyone who has them. We do have all the standard marine items, first aid, flares, and so on. The Danik hook seems solid as well. The new boat is being delivered on Wednesday and we pick it up on Thursday. It’s been a bit since we’ve had a V-drive but I’m really looking forward to getting back to a light steering boat that will flank in. Plus I’m really looking forward to getting our surf on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious. What Deck boat did you move from? We did the same only a couple of months ago. I went from a 2005 Crownline 240EX to a 2021 Makai. The draft on the Makai with no Ballast tanks filled is only 28". That is less than what my Crownline had , so thats good IMO. They are right about the handling. Makai will spin on a dime at about any speed. So better hang on if you whip it hard. BUT! It handles like a free floating log in reverse compared to a stern drive! Steering in reverse is almost a non existent term. Took me some getting used to when pulling it into my slip. Especially with wind.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Sorry didn’t see this one. Came from a Tahoe 2150 trimmed up is 17” trimmed down at 32”. The trimmed down and 2021 Makai are the same just the Makai only gets deeper with the addition of ballast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're damn right !