Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default NEW 2021 Mondo surf problems

I just got a 2021 mondo and I can't get this thing to make a wave to surf on. It's really me and the wife on the boat but it will not push and keep me in the pocket. We are new to this but still should at least look like the wave the guy from wake9 on youtube had when he reviewed the boat. We had 4 people on it yesterday and they knew how to surf and couldn't get the wave right. I ordered 300lb of lead so I can add to the bow since that keeps on saying it needs to come down to 9.5 pitch. But do I need to upgrade my prop? I have the general use one I was going to get the speed/surf one from Wakemakers and use the general use one as a spare. here is the build. should I buy anything else?

boat build.jpg

prop.jpg

if it's still factory my gut is you will need a lot more weight. I've surfed a mondo from boater4life and it can make a good wave but he had to add upgraded rear bags, a front ibs and he usually ran with 5 in the boat.

we are on our 4th boat and none of them every made a wave worth talking about until we upgraded the ballast. current boat has 800lbs of lead on top of 3k in water and still needs another 500lbs when it's only 4 of us.

prop will only be needed if boat struggles to get on plane loaded up. I'd hold off on the prop until you get a wave dialed then see if it's needed.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

What are your pitch and roll numbers?

If you can’t get bow to 9.5, that wave will be super short and close to the boat.

Like said above...... there isn’t a moomba around that will surf with 2 people in it on stock ballast, bag or lead is needed.

Supras can do it out of the box but they weigh quite a bit more than an equal length moomba.

No replacement for displacement. You will figure it out and love it once you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

ok so Ill get more weight then I have 300 lb of lead coming but I guess I need more. Wakemakers said they don't have an upgrade for my bags yet but its 3700 lb of ballest.

the only reason I was talking prop is cus I hit something and bent mine which I bent and shaped back but wanted to get a 2nd one and send this off to get fixed to have a spare one.

i don't know how to make the pics big but here is the prop

bent prop.jpg
    fixed prop.jpg

I am afraid I cannot comment on the best set up as it is still too cold up here to pick up the boat and play with it yet.

That being said both Larry and Sandm I mean no disrespect when I say this but to state that the boat will not be surfable stock with two people doesn't make sense with the new iteration of the mondo. Sure the old mondo needed more weight for a better wave but even then the new version comes with 3700 lbs and the set up that Sandm referenced would likely not be as much total weight in comparison to your last trip out. In comparison the old mondos were not getting to that much ballast when bags were changed out and lead added so I am failing to see why you could not expect a surfable wave stock even with 2 people.

What were your tab settings, how much fuel, what are you guessing in people weight, do you have pictures of the wave, were you running autowake as that can drain ballast trying to hit settings especially if you have the people loading the wrong side of the boat, what was the depth of water you were in, how fast were you going,. While more weight is certainly better (I have bags from my last boat I will use on light person crew days) to not be able to surf it at all with the stock ballast doesn't sound right IMO but again I am far from an expert and way less experienced than Larry and Sandm and might be way off base in what I am saying but there are a lot more factors that need to be looked at first before suggesting that more weight is needed (although again it is never bad) and adding more weight in lead be careful towing on the single axel as you will overload it quickly with a full tank of fuel and a bunch of lead.
    2021 Moomba Mondo, 500lbs of lead, wake makers bag busters
    Raptor 400 1.76 15.5" x 15 prop, changing to 15.5" x 13.25 for summer of 2023

2018 Yamaha 212x (SOLD)

Default NEW 2021 Mondo surf problems

Watch the wake 9 mondo video carefully.

Their “stock” ballast surf wave was with 2 large adults and 3 regular as stated in video or appx 1200# of human ballast.

OP’s says they tried with 2 people on stock ballast. Appx 300-400 of human ballast. That extra 800-900# in Roberts video is beyond significant.

Then Robert explains the mondo needs nose weight and added 500# to the bow to get to 9.5deg, OP states he can’t get near 9.5 deg stock ballast with 2 adults.

So I stand by my comment of no moomba surfs stock with 2 adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 04-15-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I have watched the video at least 100 times while waiting for my build but not the point, what is hanging me up is the statement that you cannot surf behind the boat stock period and that nothing else matters but weight. Yes there is a weight spread between Robert's stock vs OP's stock but he had more than 2 people on it the last time out and still nothing. I am not going to argue that more weight would be better sure no doubt but if OP came back and said he was surfing in 10 feet of water that would likely be more impactful on his ability to surf, if he came back and said that his autowake was on and we could establish that it was draining ballast that would be impactful and if they are surfing with their wake plate at 80% trying to make the 9.5 setting will be more impactful was more my point before throwing more money on lead. Weight distribution and aiming for 9.5 degrees is going to warrant more people and or lead ballast in the nose but my point is please provide more information as not being able to surf period (yes it will not be amazing and might take some work but not impossible) doesn't sound right as other reviews have similar people and no claimed additional ballast (albeit maybe they have a grand of lead hidden but I am not jaded enough to believe that) like this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPKXGgs21FQ

I know I sound defensive and I apologize but I am more just wanting to review all the potential causes for some what selfish reasons before just simply stating more weight is needed and I am also not a fan of blanket nope can't surf it period statements which need context for new less experienced owners (I will throw myself into that category for the sake of this discussion).

2018 Yamaha 212x (SOLD)

Larry, one question though the dinged prop, what are your thoughts on that

- would that impact anything with the wave?
    - OP stated he bent it back and went on his way, that sounds sketchy to me, sure to get back to the dock but I am not sure that is a great idea to use it like that as balance, pitch etc. could be impacted no?

2018 Yamaha 212x (SOLD)

no I ran like that all day with the prop didn't know what was going on just felt some vibrations when I got home I bent it back. Now Im going to order a 15.5x15 to put on and have the stock one sent off to get fixed so I have a spare.

I tried auto wake and I tried just cruse at 10.5-11.5 I'm in 12-20 feet of water on a big lake. I was going to go back out this Sunday to try again but autowake kept telling me to add more weight to the bow and it was always at like 10.5-12 degrees on the pitch. My roll clicked in and was green. but my wave was short and didn't have much push to stay with the boat if you let go of the rope. I have never done this before so I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. i weight 190 and my wife is 115 so that only 305 in weight. I did have the boat full of gas when I came out there that day.

We were surfing starboard side and wake plate at 65 with was default I guess and I would move the smartplate up and down to try to make the wave look good

12ft is iffy on a wave. we boarded the fox river and the channel was 20+ thru most but a couple spots were 10-14ft and wave was def. different in that spot. if you are regularly in 12ft that can impact the wave. it turns flatter and loses some push. if the water is regularly 12ft-ish, that's a big issue.

chuds, no disrespect taken ... but larry calls out some good info on it. if ragboy added weight, it'll need weight. he has forgotten more about setting up a boat than most of us will ever remember.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten