Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Help with trailering questions

Hey gang. So we’ve been out a few times on the boat now ran into a couple of issues with trailering. The trailer is almost brand new as original owner didn’t use it often.

First - whenever I get the boat back in the trailer I always winch it as best as I can with someone with a bit of juice on the throttle. No matter how much I winch the boat ends up a bit off the bumper when pulled out of the water. I do have transom tie downs but want to see if y’all think this is a problem and if so how can I remediate it.

Second - after our ride yesterday I couldn’t get the actuator to unlock from the trucks hitch. There was a piece of plastic that seemed to have slipped out - looks somewhat like a protective shim - and it was covering the lock.

I grabbed a 2x4 and rubber mallet and gently tapped it back into place today. Once the weight was off of the actuator I was able to push it back into place without any force.

The questions are, is this an important piece or can I cut it with a razor if it happens again. Neighbor and I moved the boat forward and back on driveway and it stayed in place....for now. Also, if it happens again what do y’all recommend I do?

Boat is parked on a relatively level driveway if that’s worth anything. Thanks so much in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always hit the brakes briefly in the tie down area to get the boat to slide forward to the bow roller. Boat will slide easy on wet bunks, doesn’t take much

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I can give it a shot next time. It’s a 35 min drive to lake. Hard to think one of my several stops don’t shift the boat forward?

my .02

I'd reach out to boatmate on the trailer shim piece. they have always been good to me on the phone and sure they will answer your question and get ya taken care of.

on the boat on the trailer. we dump the trailer a little deeper and winch a little harder. I tried larry's trick once with our old supra but never again. makes me too nervous. I have found pushing the trailer a tad deeper and some muscle on the winch will get the boat up against the bow roller no issue.
    our ramps at mead are super shallow and to get our 23ft on the trailer I have to put the back bumper of the truck almost in the water completely to get the boat all the way on and that's winching it the last 6-8". exhaust on our silverado is usually bubbling in the water when retrieving.

check the condition of the winch strap if you have to put some effort into it. tore one on our supra at year 3 and nothing worse than having a torn strap at the ramp. cheap insurance to replace every couple of years.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

get your tailer further down into the water and the boat will float further up with little need for winching. You want the boat right up to the roller.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    get your tailer further down into the water and the boat will float further up with little need for winching. You want the boat right up to the roller.
    That’s what I do brother. Maybe the strap itself isn’t wound tightly enough?

Luckily our ramps are long, relatively deep and not so steep so getting the trailer deep isn’t an issue.

I’ll be more attentive next time.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    my .02

I'd reach out to boatmate on the trailer shim piece. they have always been good to me on the phone and sure they will answer your question and get ya taken care of.

on the boat on the trailer. we dump the trailer a little deeper and winch a little harder. I tried larry's trick once with our old supra but never again. makes me too nervous. I have found pushing the trailer a tad deeper and some muscle on the winch will get the boat up against the bow roller no issue.
    our ramps at mead are super shallow and to get our 23ft on the trailer I have to put the back bumper of the truck almost in the water completely to get the boat all the way on and that's winching it the last 6-8". exhaust on our silverado is usually bubbling in the water when retrieving.

check the condition of the winch strap if you have to put some effort into it. tore one on our supra at year 3 and nothing worse than having a torn strap at the ramp. cheap insurance to replace every couple of years.
    I’ll be sure to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks!

Likely gonna buy a spare strap. Had one go out on my old boat once on the ramp. No fun

Go deep on the trailer, carefully crank the boat up to the nose, pull it out and see where it rests and note the changes and adjust without the boat on. Not the most exciting thing to be doing this time of year. The good thing is nobody is at the ramps, the bad thing is you'll probably get wet.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    The good thing is nobody is at the ramps
    said no one in vegas ever......
    ramps have been busy for the last month here. go do that on a fri/sat/sun now and you'll get the evil eye from a lot of boaters.
    OP is in NC so that might be a different story but bet it's getting nice there as well.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Still have a little wiggle room but it’s starting to get busy out there!