Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Kaiyen or Craz

My wife and are planning to place an order for a 2022 Moomba Craz or Kaiyen and are having a hard time identifying pros, cons and differences between these two boats. Looking for your expertise!

Our crew is usually 7 adults and 4 small kids
    60% floating
    30% surfing
    10% Zup boarding

Thanks in advance, we are in contact with our dealer but want owner input. We are looking tomorrow at a 2020 Craz that’s already sold just for reference. Also looking at MC NXT22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That size of crew I’d upsize to the Makai, that’s really the only constructive comment I have. The Kaiyen and Makai are a lot alike, just seems like you get a lot more boat for the $8k price difference.

Default New Kaiyen or Craz

Thanks for the reply. The biggest differences I can see is the Kaiyen has 3700 lbs stock ballast versus the craz 3000lb and the Kaiyen has a standard 7” touchscreen and a bigger walk through.

I think the biggest differences are that the Craz has a traditional bow shape and the Kaiyen is the squared shape. The Kaiyen has the walk through and extra ballast. I think the Craz comes with the 7in screen standard as well if i'm not mistaken. I don't think any your size of crew will make any difference as they will both handle 7 or so people easily. I don't think they are too different and you can't go wrong with either one. FWIW we picked up a 2021 Craz the end of last year and we love it.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

You might want to check out wake9.com. He did a great review and setup on the Kaiyen

Kaiyen is a more modern design..both are solid choices and amazing boats though.

I do think that you should at least take a gander at the Mojo or Makai. I think the Craz and Kaiyen would be just fine for an occasional party of 11, but you said 11 people is your normal crew when out boating. If I regularly had a crew of 11, I’d be looking for the biggest boat I could afford.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

I'm with Guppy on this.

My crew and boat usage is the same as yours. I looked at smaller boats and more affordable used options. I was dead set on a Max, even had a dealer I was talking to in with 2021 order spots open. My crew of kids are all under 10 so I liked the deep freeboard to avoid anyone falling over board.

Budget got me into a used Mojo, and I am glad I went with something larger. The 21ft Malibu I was looking at would have been to small. It had the traditional bow also, and like the Craz, could limit sitting once everyone spreads out. Th Max is even a cheaper price point then either, so give it a look also. I don't think there is a bad choice.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Guppie has stated my point on size much better than I did. But 11 on a 15-16 person boat is packed. The rule of thumb I use is take the capacity and delete 4. That gives room for space comfort and moving around, getting things out of bags and storage etc. Any of the Moomba models are spendy, regardless of how we like justifying it to build one out with flow 3 and a pro tower you are looking at $90-$110k and that’s expensive for a part time use item (not to mention COVID sellers market). In 3-5 years do you upgrade when the 4 kids are bigger kids or just get bigger now, Max, Mojo, Makai? In any event just my opinion, you’ll prob love whatever you choose b/c they are all very solid options!!!

Thank you all for the thoughts and insights. Our top end budget fall right in the middle of slightly optioned Craz or less optioned Kaiyen / Max. I think we would upgrade larger in a few years.

2017 Craz Surf Max + 250# lead over here. Picked it up used last August. We love the boat. Great build quality and solid ride. The size suits us well. The largest crew we have put on the boat so far was 4 adults and 5 kids ranging from 7 to 14. Add another couple of adults and a kid or two and I would say we'd be getting into "he's touching me" territory but it could be done. With the filler pad the traditional bow shape does not hamper bow comfort for us. If we were able to be taking out full crews on the reg we would probably wish for bigger but I do not know if I would do it.

When it is just the 4 of us, about 50% of the time, I wonder if smaller (Kaiyen) would be better because of the additional stock subfloor ballast, better ratio of pounds of people and gear to boat, and hull shape for surfing and just accept being a little cramped sometimes. We have a hard time sticking pitch and roll while keeping ballast weight in the boat with just 4 of us even using a 675# sumo sack and moving the lead around. We are only 40 hours into it so we are still learning but the Craz seems to like a lot of weight in the boat before that wave really comes alive.

Not trying to change topics to surf wave just sharing my own Craz experiences and thoughts on choosing size.
    2017 Craz Surf Raptor 400 + 250# Lead