Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LED interior lights color change?

Has anyone changed the color of their LED "mood lighting". Im pretty sure it's possible, and am going to look into it. Just wondering if anyone else already has?
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I imagine your lighting is RGB but only wired as one color, swapping wires around can change color or you can add a controller.
    I'm speculating here though as I'm not 100%
    2020 Supra SA

Old thread I know…. But I was bored…. I confirmed this with my dealer and while winterizing had them swap it from the stock blue to red…. I may add a controller later, but red suits my boat much better… moral of the story they tell me is they all come with RGB strips….
    2022 Makai
    Fire Red - Pecan ChillTech - Woodgrain Gatorstep
    400 - 1.76 - 15.5x15 prop (16x13 Acme 3409 installed for testing)
    Ballast Mods: 1000lb of lead and WM Bags

Do you know where and what they changed to get it to be red?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Do you know where and what they changed to get it to be red?

I knew you for sure would be asking lol…. I didnt watch the procedure but here is what was on the work order….

“For all the interior lights that were blue I had to pull their connectors down on each LED strip and switch the power to the red LEDs in each strip. The tower speakers would not switch through the connector at the bottom of the tower, so I pulled both speakers out of the cans and pulled the led strips out and switched to power leads inside the speakers to change the speaker lights to red. All interior rgb lights and tower lights have been switched to red.”

I take it from that each light strip had to be changed independently, now, it may have been easier to just get a controller, but with and all red boat, this was the way I wanted to go, I dont know why the blue bugged me, it just did, lol….

I was going to stop by the dealer for an in store boat show soon, so I can ask a tech if each led strip has wires labelled for R G and B, or how they know if you like, but at least it should confirm that all LED strips have this capability from the factory!
    2022 Makai

it may have been easier to just get a controller,

Based on the Tech's notes, the LEDs are only wired with a 2 conductor cable. RGB needs a 4 conductor from each LED to the controller. So, I do not think installing an RGB controller would be plug-n-play and deliver red or the other colors.

and switch the power to the red LEDs in each strip.
    Just to clarify a slight technical aspect here. The circuit getting moved from the blue wire to the red wire is not "power" or 12V B+, but rather, its the ground. The black wire on the LED is the constant 12V and the red, green and blue wires receive a ground in order to make the colors illuminate.

Beyond that, the tech is correct, you do need to find the LED's blue wire and clip the wire off it and terminate it to the LED's red wire.

That makes sense. So in order to make a controller work you would need to pull more conductors to each light. Would have been nice if there would have been only one place to change the connection!
    You will have to post some pictures of the red LED blacklights in action!

2021 Moomba Makai

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Based on the Tech's notes, the LEDs are only wired with a 2 conductor cable. RGB needs a 4 conductor from each LED to the controller. So, I do not think installing an RGB controller would be plug-n-play and deliver red or the other colors.

Just to clarify a slight technical aspect here. The circuit getting moved from the blue wire to the red wire is not "power" or 12V B+, but rather, its the ground. The black wire on the LED is the constant 12V and the red, green and blue wires receive a ground in order to make the colors illuminate.

Beyond that, the tech is correct, you do need to find the LED's blue wire and clip the wire off it and terminate it to the LED's red wire.
    You may be correct, I was simply copying over what the tech had written into the notes…. I am pretty please with the fact they were able to change, though it was a few hours labor… worth it to me as I was having some first off season warranty work done and the heater installed at the same time…

Still in the depths of winter up here in Calgary, so it will be a while before the water test and pics in action will happen, but I will certainly make that happen!
    2022 Makai

You may be correct, I was simply copying over what the tech had written into the notes…
    I am correct and I did give credit to the notes being from the tech, not your words. I felt the clarification was needed, in case someone got in there with a volt meter and was expecting to find "power" (12V+) on the LED's blue wire.

@HFarr,

Unless RGB was a factory option on that year/model, then its unlikely the factory harness has a 4-con to each LED. If this was the case, then you would simply find the 4-con's termination point behind the helm, and remove the brue ground and attach the red ground and the color change is done. There would be no need to visit each LED's splice.

If I was going to do this, I would clip the factory 2-con off each LED and run my own 4-con to where I would mount the controller. This is much easier then trying to run a 2nd 2-con and then relocate the original factory 2-con to the controller location. The single color switch could then be used to power the controller on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    I am correct and I did give credit to the notes being from the tech, not your words. I felt the clarification was needed, in case someone got in there with a volt meter and was expecting to find "power" (12V+) on the LED's blue wire.

@HFarr,

Unless RGB was a factory option on that year/model, then its unlikely the factory harness has a 4-con to each LED. If this was the case, then you would simply find the 4-con's termination point behind the helm, and remove the brue ground and attach the red ground and the color change is done. There would be no need to visit each LED's splice.

If I was going to do this, I would clip the factory 2-con off each LED and run my own 4-con to where I would mount the controller. This is much easier then trying to run a 2nd 2-con and then relocate the original factory 2-con to the controller location. The single color switch could then be used to power the controller on/off.
    Perfect, thanks for clarification and a better understanding for others who may be interested in these types of changes…
    2022 Makai