Thread: GPS apps

Default GPS apps

Does anyone have any experience with the gps phone apps like Navionics or similar?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Its great. Worth every penny, Unlike the GPS that comes installed in Navi systems, the Navionics is regularly updated and includes many other features. Get it and don't look back.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

I plan on getting it. I have a ton of friends who use it for Lake Powell and they say it works great. To be fair, none of them have a boat that offers factory nav tho.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

I am wanting GPS for unfamiliar waterways. I’ve been considering a garmin echomap plus 43cv but don’t want or need the fish finder. I’m hoping a humminbird 650 or Hawkeye depth sounder and a phone app will work better.

I use it every time I go to Lake Powell. It is pretty good, especially since you can change the water level in the app to match up with current conditions and you can also set low depth alarms. I mostly use it while driving our houseboat, but it has saved my bacon a couple times, preventing me from fouling two props on hidden sea mounts that are common at Powell. On the Lake Powell forums, many prefer Navionics Boating to the factory maps since the bathymetry is better for the Navionics data and the app is more user friendly. They will often use iPads in houseboats or fishing boats in conjunction with depth finders from dedicated units. I can't tell you if it is better for the lakes you may be boating in, but it is certainly a must have for Lake Powell.

I bought Navionics last season for my first trip to Norris. I was happy to have it!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead