Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Progress report....

Going to grab a gloss meter from work and see where we are at and see if I can go farther.

Factory gelcoat is appx an 85 gloss, I am guessing so far I am in low 90’s and goal is 95-96.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That looks incredible! Good job. We have a faor amount of lake scum thay sticks to the hull when the boat stays in the water for days/weeks. Does the ceramic coating make it easier to remove this? If nothing else it lools amazing!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I personally don’t use ceramic on the hull and it is not technically an anti foul prevention for marine organisms.

However, because I do coat the sides of the boat and some of that is below waterline, it does make cleaning much easier, like the scum line and after leaving it in water for 1 week (previous boat), it had some star looking growth that washed right off.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Larry,
    Kudos to you. That is a time consuming task. Looks awesome ����

I local guy I went to school with details for a living. He is getting my business on my Mojo. He is going to ceramic coat also. Hopefully it makes it easier to clean throughout the summer.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Some updates.

Really liking the Gyeon marine step 2 compound.

I have fixed about a dozen scuff and scratches from the factory. Light wet sand with 2500 grit and Gyeon marine step 2 and the Rupes blue foam pad removes 2500 with no effort.

The Rupes coarse blue foam pad finishes really well on gelcoat, higher shine with coarse blue than the fine yellow pad.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Where are you doing this work? At the dealer? His warehouse?

The finish is so clear I see other boats in the reflection..
    2021 Moomba Max

Default Ceramic coating process

I started at the dealer, but I ended up bringing her home Saturday.

It’s in my barn.

Weather is nice this week here, so perfect for polishing.

Side note, 18’s and board racks off, fits in 96” door with a couple inches clearance.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 03-21-2021 at 07:11 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Looks incredible!! So much depth and gloss! I really want to do this to my Max one day. I did auto detailing in a past life so working with the tools isn’t foreign to me. The amount of time to do this when the boat is over 1.5 hours away makes it a bit more difficult to work in but seeing all these ceramic coated boats and how it makes cleaning easier is very attractive to me, especially since I don’t have water to wash the boat down. Anything to make wipe downs and water spots less of a chore I’m down to try.
    Last edited by haknslash; 03-22-2021 at 07:56 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Looking damn good so far! Lots of work but looks to be worth it so far.
    You have a before and after on any spots on the side you've done?
    2020 Supra SA

Default Ceramic coating process

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    Looking damn good so far! Lots of work but looks to be worth it so far.
    You have a before and after on any spots on the side you've done?
    I polished the whole boat including interior gel and I am 7 hours in and to be honest there is a considerable amount of multi tasking around the barn during the spring.

Running a DA is so much easier than a rotary, just let the machine do the work.

My point is, yes it takes time, but it’s not hard work.

I still have a spot I didn’t polish to compare factory gloss to polished gloss using a high end gloss meter from work, I can’t get it for about 2 weeks as it’s out for calibration.

I will try to take some pictures of some gel flaws, there are a few “pits” here and there, I was detailing the trailer and looking under the hull and found a red fleck in the gel, must have been a red boat in the mold before mine.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 03-22-2021 at 09:34 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Few questions if you don't mind?

I'll be taking delivery of my Max in 2-3 weeks and want to get a coating on it ASAP.

I've done several car paint corrections over the years with my Porter Cable. The Adams Swirl Killer looks to be a bit less labor intensive? You really had to push down on the head of the Porter Cable.

You only pictured what looks to be the 15mm in your pics, or was it the 21mm? I'm thinking of upgrading and getting into the Swirl Killer line if it is indeed less labor intensive. Were you happy with the 15/21, or did you feel the need for the mini in any areas?

I invested heavily in the Adams lineup when I was doing cars more regularly. Is there a reason you didn't go with the Adams Graphene? It seems to be a step above most of the ceramic coatings on the market, or they just market it better.