Default Kids Life Jacket Recommendations??

Hey folks - does anyone have a good experience with life jackets for the youngsters? Boys are 8 and 10 this year and our experience is raw skin on the bottom of their jaw and the front of their under arms from wearing them so long I presume. We put them in long sleeve swim shirts to solve 1 problem but still have the other.

I forget what we bought them but I know I spent about $80 a piece o them trying to make sure they were the most comfortable for them knowing they have to wear them 100% of the time while on the boat. Truth be told we’ve relaxed that rule a bit if we’re sitting at anchor to give them a break but it’s still pretty annoying.

Thanks in advance

If they have raw skin at the bottom of their jaw, the jacket is shifting up... it's either not tight enough or doesn't fit properly. (Infant and toddler jackets have a crotch strap to prevent that)

We've had nothing but success with the kids Hyperlite jackets ($30) at Costco. They have a super generous return policy.... your kids could test them in the water, if they don't work, Costco will take them back, no questions asked.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

As RC said above fit has a lot to do with it. I have always had good success with Radar jackets for my toddlers and they make kids jackets as well. The toddler jackets have fleece lining along the arm and neck openings to help with the comfort of wearing them all day and it appears the kids jackets do as well. Check them out.

https://radarskis.com/products/tra-b...-vest-50-90lbs

https://www.amazon.com/Radar-TRA-Boy...779141&sr=8-38
    Last edited by TXSurf4; 03-03-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Found Jacket Description
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    As RC said above fit has a lot to do with it. I have always had good success with Radar jackets for my toddlers and they make kids jackets as well. The toddler jackets have fleece lining along the arm and neck openings to help with the comfort of wearing them all day and it appears the kids jackets do as well. Check them out.

https://radarskis.com/products/tra-b...-vest-50-90lbs

https://www.amazon.com/Radar-TRA-Boy...779141&sr=8-38
    Ronix has fleece lining as well. Might be a few more out there that do too.

https://www.ronixwake.com/products/vision-vest
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I thought the same thing about fitment as well and have tried tightening and snugging the leg straps to no avail. I will definitely give one of the recommendations a try.

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    If they have raw skin at the bottom of their jaw, the jacket is shifting up... it's either not tight enough or doesn't fit properly. (Infant and toddler jackets have a crotch strap to prevent that)

We've had nothing but success with the kids Hyperlite jackets ($30) at Costco. They have a super generous return policy.... your kids could test them in the water, if they don't work, Costco will take them back, no questions asked.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    I second the Hyperlite jackets from Costco. We have done those for years now buying bigger ones as the kiddos grow and they've been great. Double check the weight stamped in on the back, maybe your getting ones a tad to big. It sounds counter intuitive for growth but I size them on the lower end of that weight scale is so they are within range and snug on them. My boys are string beans and if they use the wrong one they float up around their ears... We do also wear the sun / rash guards too.

These are awesome my kids when they were little used these and they do not chafe or anything and they don't hold water so they aren't cold at all.

https://www.amazon.com/TRC-Recreatio...s%2C210&sr=8-6
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

I know there are less expensive options, but for my oldest I tried 3 different vests before finding his Liquid Force kids jacket. The overall pattern seems to be more snug and stitching around the neck is not abrasive. It also zips up much higher than the others he tried which really seems to help keep it from sliding up. I can’t remember which model it is but I just looked at a few and the all seem to have similar characteristics.

2004 Moomba Outback LS
    2016 Wrangler JK

they can always wear a rash guard under their life jackets.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Costco ones for sure. Our boat is full with 2 of every size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold