Question Advice Help Purchasing A moomba this weekend

Hey guys!

I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Moomba outback and figured I would seek some expert advice before I make the purchase.

As it sits 260HRs
    One small blemish on the seat
    Current owner states previous owner took meticulous care of the boat. As is shows in the pictures however no maintenance records they have only had for one season.

I am just wondering, things to look for and check this will be my first Boat and I couldn't be more excited I am Mechanically inclined and have been under the hood of many cars but just want to make sure I don't buy a lemon that is more of a headache than a fun time on the lake

Are there any common problems with this year and trim?

Thanks in Advance

Quote Originally Posted by Moombia View Post
    Hey guys!

I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Moomba outback and figured I would seek some expert advice before I make the purchase.

As it sits 260HRs
    One small blemish on the seat
    Current owner states previous owner took meticulous care of the boat. As is shows in the pictures however no maintenance records they have only had for one season.

I am just wondering, things to look for and check this will be my first Boat and I couldn't be more excited I am Mechanically inclined and have been under the hood of many cars but just want to make sure I don't buy a lemon that is more of a headache than a fun time on the lake

Are there any common problems with this year and trim?

Thanks in Advance
    Water test it before you buy, then winterize it and or have a dealer do an water test inspection.. I always have a dealer do a water test/inspection, easy and only costs about $150..
    Last edited by parrothd; 02-23-2021 at 11:15 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

You should expect to have periodic repairs for a 23 year old boat. The impeller should be inspected, look for heat issues on the exhaust tubes. There should be very little water intrusion during operations. If there is water, then determine the source as it may need repacking of the stuffing tube. The carburetor needs to be checked out and if a rebuild is necessary. The fuel pump if original may need to be replaced at some point. Check for vibrations when under way that would point to propeller or shaft issues.

I had a 98 for 16 years with very few issues and I never lost money when I sold it.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Your biggest expense would be if the engine had bad compression. I would get a compression check or leak down test.

Water test is the next biggest thing.

Depending on maintenance recs, you might want to invest in tune up parts, fuel filter, impeller, fluid changes, and a new battery.

Boats break and parts wear out. So as mentioned above, a 20+ year old boat and some things will break over time.

260 hours and the interior sounds like it's in great condition.

Good find ! Good luck !!

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Zabooda, You sold out and your done??? I don't see where you bought another boat. I know we're getting old. You have been on here a long time. I'm one of the older members also. Dont get on here much anymore. Young folks and I don't think I always fit in anymore. I'm 63 but I don't want to stop. Looking at going out this Sunday. Water is about 58 degrees if I had to guess. Supposed to be 80 air temp. Going to try and ski it. I am a fool. I have a wetsuit
    Last edited by jmb; 02-26-2021 at 07:07 PM.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Your biggest expense would be if the engine had bad compression. I would get a compression check or leak down test.

Water test is the next biggest thing.

Depending on maintenance recs, you might want to invest in tune up parts, fuel filter, impeller, fluid changes, and a new battery.

Boats break and parts wear out. So as mentioned above, a 20+ year old boat and some things will break over time.

260 hours and the interior sounds like it's in great condition.

Good find ! Good luck !!

Only 260 hours on a 23 year old boat? How is this possible? I put almost that much on my ‘19 Helix last summer.

I have some friends that have some old-school Supra ski boats. Not their primary boat. Might get used 10x per season for early AM salmon runs.

2018 Supra SL400