Default Hinged Stbd bench seat rubs on back rest

2019 Makai. Stbd bench seat is hinged and rubs on the removable backrest just behind the driver's seat. In fact, if you try to open the compartment by lifting on the bench seat more toward the back of the boat, it just won't open. Dealer says it's operating fine and the backrest is supposed to be removed. I call BS, but curious if others have the same issue? Granted it's a very small problem and I will fix it myself if necessary.

Sorry I can't post a pic, the boat is still at the dealer and it's snowing here right now. They were cool leaving it there until the road conditions improve. Typically - I am very happy with the dealer, but not the answer I was looking for on this one.

Pictures would help for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I’m not sure if 2019 Makai is different from 2021 Makai in terms of that backrest but at 9:35 in this video he opens it without removing the backrest. For some reason I want to say that part changed slightly over the years but perhaps not. Looking at stock photos on some of the images it looks like the 2021 Makai backrest is slightly angled back more towards the drivers seat than other 2019 images I glanced at but it could all be in the angle of the pic. I think you could just bend it back a little so it clears the seat cushion?

Last edited by haknslash; 02-16-2021 at 06:18 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

At 10:58 of the same video Hak posted, you can clearly see the bench seat rub against the backrest as he lowers backs down.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    At 10:58 of the same video Hak posted, you can clearly see the bench seat rub against the backrest as he lowers backs down.
    Good eye, I agree with Hak, looks like the backrest needs to be bent a little to provide clearance. Likely some manufacturing tolerance in the angle of the back rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Thanks guys for your comments. That tube steel (or aluminum probably) would be very difficult to bend properly. I think I will remove the bracket (for lack of a better word) and install a 1/2” spacer so it retains the same angle, just places the backrest a little more forward in the boat.

If the weather ever breaks in Cincinnati I’ll get the boat home and try to remember to follow up with pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Max20 View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments. That tube steel (or aluminum probably) would be very difficult to bend properly. I think I will remove the bracket (for lack of a better word) and install a 1/2” spacer so it retains the same angle, just places the backrest a little more forward in the boat.

If the weather ever breaks in Cincinnati I’ll get the boat home and try to remember to follow up with pictures.
    Well scratch that - I watched the video and I guess the slot the seat back post slides into is molded into the boat. I’ll have to think about that a little more.

Good catch when he was lowering the cushion back down! That backrest is removable correct? If so I would just clamp it safely on a vice to protect the surface and see if you can’t bend it back a few degrees. I’m not sure what the material or finish is since I don’t have that backrest but perhaps adding some heat would be ok to help bend? Just throwing out ideas to help you get a little bit of clearance. I agree they need to revise this design and either space the backrest away more where is slides in or add a few degrees.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Another thought since that cushion is probably not used that often would be to pull the upholstery and shave a 1/2" or so out of the back of the foam and throw the vinyl back on.
    2020 Supra SA

I understand you want perfection when spending six figures on something, I'm like that too. However, I bet that once the backrest gets "broken in" a little by people resting up against it and by the cushion exerting force against it that it eventually becomes something that doesn't rub or that you might not even notice. In the video, the dude is talking into the camera and quite easily lowers the side cushion with one hand. I'd give it a little time before you MacGyver it.
    Last edited by Guppydriver; 02-18-2021 at 01:24 PM.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)