Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Coating

Default Ceramic Coating

Hi all,
    I have a new 21 mojo on order and was wondering if any current owners ceramic coat their boats to cut down on dirt build up. If so are there any recommendations for products that you apply yourself or is best left to professionals. I will be lake boating in ga.
    I saw some members potentially recommend the hula silica coating and was wondering if there were any others.
    All the info out there seems to be from manufacturers but was interested in any unbiased opinions based on experience. Worth it or not?
    Thanks
    M
    2021 Moomba Mojo (on order)
    2008 Proline Sport 23'
    1992 Bayliner Capri 19'
    1990 Kawasaki 550SX Jetski

I ceramic coated my last boat and will absolutely be doing it on my new boat.

I have a pro hook up, but I prepped and installed it myself.

All ceramics are not the same.

Research research research.

True ceramic coating is a process that you systematically apply the coating to small areas using a leveling block and microfiber cloth, let it flash and buff with a clean microfiber and it cures for a few days.

IGL marine, Gyeon QR2 marine, Feynlab Hydro are a few of the marine gelcoat specific coatings.

Don’t get this confused with a wax or detailer with some ceramic in it, although these newer products I have no doubt work great as quick detailer.

The key to any ceramic is getting the gelcoat polished to perfection, ceramic coating will only look as good the gelcoat polishing. Ceramic won’t cover up or fix swirl or scratch marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Can confirm its all about the product, friend of mine has his whole truck "ceramic coated" for $400 lasted maybe 4 months.. I paid just over $1000 but had the whole truck professional paint corrected and ceramic coated down to the wheels and step boards. Mine I believe is Gyeon or possibly that is the product on the windows however it is a year and a half old and still doing great with just hand washing.

Any ideas how much a good professional ceramic coating on a new boat should cost?
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Larry's on point. Surface prep is crucial.

A silica spray is not a true ceramic coating but not everyone can shell out a chunk of change every season.

I was quoted like $1,400 for prep, and coating on boat, tower & REV cans.

I'll be DIY in the meantime.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Josh828 View Post
    Can confirm its all about the product, friend of mine has his whole truck "ceramic coated" for $400 lasted maybe 4 months.. I paid just over $1000 but had the whole truck professional paint corrected and ceramic coated down to the wheels and step boards. Mine I believe is Gyeon or possibly that is the product on the windows however it is a year and a half old and still doing great with just hand washing.

Any ideas how much a good professional ceramic coating on a new boat should cost?
    Around here for a 23 foot boat it’s $2500 ish.

IGL marine is appx $600 for 200 ml which is enough for two 23 foot boats (2 coats waterline and above and 2 coats on interior gelcoat, speakers etc. just need to find an IGL pro to buy it for you. There is a leveling agent that you can buy that makes it even easier to apply.

I would not waste the time and effort ceramic coating below waterline, but some do.

I also ceramic coated my trailer and it’s awesome. But I use an automotive specific ceramic like a carpro UK. $50 kit

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

What about for us cheap wads....

Although not a true ceramic coating...Would Seal n' Shine or Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating be safe to use on the gelcoat?
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    What about for us cheap wads....

Although not a true ceramic coating...Would Seal n' Shine or Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating be safe to use on the gelcoat?
    Thinking the hula ceramic spray may be a nice option.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Thanks for the great info. Any gotchas / thoughts on the prep approach. I see some of the manufacturers advocating using clay bars to prep the gel coat before application... I will have a metallic color and wasn’t sure if this would be required/advisable especially on a brand new boat.
    2008 Proline Sport 23'
    1992 Bayliner Capri 19'

My 2021 is still in the showroom, even new, it’s nowhere near ready to ceramic coat.

Will be doing a full gelcoat correction using gyeon marine polish step2 with a Rupes DA, a carpro eraser wipe down and either IGL marine or Feynlab Hydro ceramic coating.

You will not hurt,damage or degrade new gelcoat with a polish.

Claybar is more for pulling brake and rail dust out of automotive paint and will not remove scratches or swirls marks out of gelcoat.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    My 2021 is still in the showroom, even new, it’s nowhere near ready to ceramic coat.

Will be doing a full gelcoat correction using gyeon marine polish step2 with a Rupes DA, a carpro eraser wipe down and either IGL marine or Feynlab Hydro ceramic coating.

You will not hurt,damage or degrade new gelcoat with a polish.

Claybar is more for pulling brake and rail dust out of automotive paint and will not remove scratches or swirls marks out of gelcoat.

got it... really appreciate the input Larry. PS saw the pic of your new SA. That is one awesome looking boat. Congrats I hope it treats you well...

2008 Proline Sport 23'
    1992 Bayliner Capri 19'