Default '06 XLV will not shift into fwd gear after returning to neutral

I have a 2006 Moomba XLV with the assault 325 motor. When I start the boat and shift into forward gear it shifts smoothly and moves forward. If I return the throttle back to neutral and then attempt to shift into forward gear it will not engage and the rooms will not increase. If I turn the ignition off and then restart it it will shift into forward gear until the next time I put it in neutral again. I have been told that it is an issue in the perfect pass system (original non gps system) and that I need to get it serviced. Has anyone ran across this and know the fix? I am thinking about going ahead and just upgrading to the stargazer gps perfect pass if the problem is in the PP system. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

can you try unplugging the perfect pass and see what happens?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I am going to try that first and let you know. I actually just purchased the XLV knowing it had this issue so I am waiting to get it home to start working on it. The previous owner had it diagnosed awhile back and was told the perfect pass was malfunctioning and either needed repair or upgrade. He didn't want it down for repairs so he just put up with it. Just trying to get a head start on it and see if anyone else has the issue.

Took the boat out today and it has same issue with perfect pass plugged in and unplugged. Shifts into fwd and reverse but will not accelerate. Sometimes if I turn off the engine and restart it it will accelerate until I shift to neutral. After going to neutral it will shift into gear but not accelerate again until I turn it off and restart the engine. I have seen people having issues with throttle cables getting stuck in the engine cover and possible throttle position sensor issues. Anyone out there experience this before ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

This motor is based on the GM Vortec 5.7, correct?

I know many things are different to make it sea worthy and then throw in the PP system and it further changes. However, the motor itself does not appear to be the problem, but we can rule that out if you would like.

Can you pull the throttle cable separately from under the sun pad while in neutral? Do this after it malfunctions but before restarting. It should rev up. Just making sure it is the PP system and not a TPS issue on the motor.

Next would be restarting and setting the PP and seeing if it holds true. If the speed runs away or struggles keeping 15mph then start with the boat speed sensor and check for wire rub and corrosion.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Boat is on the trailer rn but I opened the hatch and noticed two things.
    1st was this huge spring that was hooked to the TPS. It doesn't look like it belongs there and made the TPS very hard to pull. I disconnected it and the internal spring on the TPS works just fine.

2nd was the PP cable. It was very loose so with the throttle all the way forward it was not moving the TPS at all. I wound the perfect pass cable back in and it now works as it should.
    I am wondering if the large spring was making it have to pull too hard causing the perfect pass cable to unwind and then every time I would turn it off it would wind it back.

Hopefully that was it and the lake test will go well. Worst case there is an issue with the servo motor not holding and it'll have to be replaced.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That spring does not look factory by any means. Looks like a stuck on the water fix.

Hope you have it solved.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow