Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Since we are talking tow vehicles....3/4 and one ton differences..

Because the current gen Tundra is so antiquated, I basically stole my 2020 last year on a zero down two year lease. It was a "Godfather offer" and a nice stop gap while things hopefully recover a bit in my industry.

That being said...

I'll be looking at a new tow rig in exactly one year. The other thread has me seriously thinking about heavy duty trucks because of payload issues. We anticipate quite a few 4+ hour drives one way during the season, as well as towing locally up some steep grades at >5000 msl weekly. I know the Tundra will be fine this summer, but I am going to buy my next truck and want it to be a nice long term solution although the thought of something that big as a daily driver isn't the most appealing.

I'm a total heavy duty nube, but I have been playing around a bit on the big three's websites. The two primary observations I have are...

1. I can't really tell the diff between the 3/4 and full ton trucks from a feature/engine/options/design aspect. They seem like exactly the same truck except the full ton gives you a sizable advantage in payload and in some configurations, towing.

2. The cost delta between the two is very marginal, especially considering the high cost of the vehicle. The full ton's cost premium is only 1-2% more than a 3/4 depending on trim line.

So here's my question...

What am I missing? Why wouldn't you spend around an extra thousand dollars on a 60-80K truck to have substantially more payload and maybe more towing capability? Why are there so many 3/4 tons on the road if this is the case and what features do they have that the 1 ton doesn't?

I mean, if you were buying a Porsche for 100K because you love fast sports cars and the dealer said for an extra $1500 bucks, I'll give you the same car but with 20% more performance, who wouldn't do it?
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Default Since we are talking tow vehicles....3/4 and one ton differences..

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    Because the current gen Tundra is so antiquated, I basically stole my 2020 last year on a zero down two year lease. It was a "Godfather offer" and a nice stop gap while things hopefully recover a bit in my industry.

That being said...

I'll be looking at a new tow rig in exactly one year. The other thread has me seriously thinking about heavy duty trucks because of payload issues. We anticipate quite a few 4+ hour drives one way during the season, as well as towing locally up some steep grades at >5000 msl weekly. I know the Tundra will be fine this summer, but I am going to buy my next truck and want it to be a nice long term solution although the thought of something that big as a daily driver isn't the most appealing.

I'm a total heavy duty nube, but I have been playing around a bit on the big three's websites. The two primary observations I have are...

1. I can't really tell the diff between the 3/4 and full ton trucks from a feature/engine/options/design aspect. They seem like exactly the same truck except the full ton gives you a sizable advantage in payload and in some configurations, towing.

2. The cost delta between the two is very marginal, especially considering the high cost of the vehicle. The full ton's cost premium is only 1-2% more than a 3/4 depending on trim line.

So here's my question...

What am I missing? Why wouldn't you spend around an extra thousand dollars on a 60-80K truck to have substantially more payload and maybe more towing capability? Why are there so many 3/4 tons on the road if this is the case and what features do they have that the 1 ton doesn't?

I mean, if you were buying a Porsche for 100K because you love fast sports cars and the dealer said for an extra $1500 bucks, I'll give you the same car but with 20% more performance, who wouldn't do it?
    Some will say ride quality.
    others will say depending on state, registration cost deltas.
    I can tell you my 07 f350 is a kidney beater vs the same year f250.
    The difference in the f250 and f350 is rear leaf pack and available gear ratios.
    However 2017 Newer I couldn’t tell you for certain, but I’d assume the same holds true.

My other truck is a fairly new ram 2500 ctd, with factory air suspension. Ram come with coil or leaf depending if 2500 or 3500. Judging by the way my folks ram 3500 dually rode when empty, again I’d say the ride quality is significantly less vs my 2500. We went to visit Hearst castle last year, we hit a bump that sent my into the headliner (and to the chiropractor )in the backseat.

Personally, towing what we tow id go for the 1 ton. I’d rather have a stiffer ride and possibly higher reg costs vs being under on payload. I deal with this exact issue pulling my momentum. Having enough truck is peace of mind. I will be getting a new one for that reason as soon as I see the 2022 battle of the brands shakedown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by j.mo; 02-08-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Think you hit on the essential issue of how categories are blurring, with 1/2 tons now offering towing capacities that use to be 3/4 and 1 ton class, and so on.

There use to be sharp distinctions, clear differences, but not necessarily any longer.

Need to look at the individual VIN, how it is built, what equipment is on it, what the factory rated it as.

There are a lot of marketing reasons for doing this, as certain segments like their dressed up truck but don't want a 1 ton (and yet want the towing capacity at least on paper).

You be amazed at how they target trucks for the Work Truck crowd, the Urban Cowboy, and the Poser Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by hubpost View Post

You be amazed at how they target trucks for the Work Truck crowd, the Urban Cowboy, and the Poser Girl.
    I don't use my truck for work. I'm certainly not an Urban Cowboy..

Damn.. That just leaves one.
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

we have a 99 f250SD 4x4 and I can say it's ride quality is quite a bit worse than the chevy 1500 when unloaded. dump 2 tons of rock in it and it rides MUCH better

one thing not mentioned is insurance costs. we only carry liability on our 99. it's significantly more expensive than our chevy truck and our car. company told me this is due to it being a 3/4 and rated as a "work vehicle". said 1tons were even higher but no data to back that up.
    realize insurance is apples and oranges to everyone even if we have the same company so no reason to compare but worth the call to your company to inquire.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

J.mo nailed it. Coil spring (2500) vs leaf spring (3500) which really affects ride quality unloaded. Also, not sure how other areas are but 3500 is exempt from emissions testing in our County.
    '18 mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Surgical_ass View Post
    J.mo nailed it. Coil spring (2500) vs leaf spring (3500) which really affects ride quality unloaded. Also, not sure how other areas are but 3500 is exempt from emissions testing in our County.
    Is this applicable to each of the big three...the coil vs. leaf?

So mainly rear suspension? Other than that....identical right?
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

I know that was the case when I was looking at Ram. I would assume the others are the same as well. as far as motor and transmission go I think for the most part the 2500 versus 3500 is the same as long as they are both gas burners. I think once you move up to diesel the transmission changes
    '18 mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Surgical_ass View Post
    I know that was the case when I was looking at Ram. I would assume the others are the same as well. as far as motor and transmission go I think for the most part the 2500 versus 3500 is the same as long as they are both gas burners. I think once you move up to diesel the transmission changes
    Sounds good. TBH, if I decide to go HD, I'm going diesel. An HD without the kerosene burner is like a V6 Mustang with racing stripes.
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Identical drive train and front suspension on gm and Ford, pertaining to SRW trucks. Other than gear ratio options and rear leaf pack.
    Ford finally moved to coil on the raptor for 2021, so I’d say the f150 is not far behind but probably not anytime soon on the super dirt line, but who knows.
    Another thing that affects payload is obviously cab configuration, engine choice, and options. My ram 2500 is highly optioned, nothing left on the table for the Laramie trim. My payload is to be desired, only 2600lb. Take off all the options in a big horn say, probably gain 600-800lb.

But the only thing that will get you into another category of axles, brakes etc is going up into the 450/5500 class. Which obviously none of us are going to do, even as bad as I want those 10 lug f450 axles and the wide body flares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk