Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Help me pick a tow vehicle

So here’s the scenario. We just bought a 2017 Supra SA 400. We have a 2020 jeep GC with v8 hemos rated at 7200 max.

I’m well aware I’m maxed out. The vehicle pulls the boat just fine. But I’m maxed out and I can definitely feel the boat pulling. I just don’t trust it and don’t feel safe with it.

We’re keeping the GC so looking at buying a dedicated tow vehicle. Here are my “parameters”

Looking at something 2012 or older. Looking to spend 15k max. It’ll be a high miles vehicle but we’re also I need of a not so nice car to throw crap in and such since both of our current cars are not suited for that.

I genuinely need advice and DO NOT want this to turn into a tow vehicle debate and fight.

These are some I’ve been glancing at

GMC Yukon Denali
    Chevy Silverado 1500
    Chevy Tahoe
    Nissan Armada
    Ford F-150 platinum
    Ram 1500-2500

Any help would be appreciated. Dry weight is 6900 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well be towing 20 miles each way to lake

Your looking for an older model ride that you don't care if you throw stuff into it.

A denali or platinum don't fit that mold.

Just get a 3/4 ton if it's gonna be an older model and you truly don't care about it getting dirty.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Something like this 2012 F250 4wheel drive crew cab would fit the bill and tow that boat no problem.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

You’re right about that. But still want something “nice”. In the price range I’m looking at ¾ trucks have over 200k miles or are very old and bland... maybe I’m being too picky

Maybe you don't know what you really want

..."It’ll be a high miles vehicle but we’re also I need of a not so nice car to throw crap in"

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Default Help me pick a tow vehicle

I don’t know what I really want because I wasn’t planning on having to purchase another vehicle - sure, call it poor planning.

We’re on a waitlist on a slip on the lake. Once we get in in a year or two this won’t be a problem.

Anyways. I’d like something “nice” and something I can not baby like our boat and other cars.

Priority is of course safely towing the boat, but you’re right about not knowing what I want

Everyone can use a truck and lots will say get 3/4 ton but if you've made it this far without i'd stick to half tons. Maintenance and likely your insurance will be cheaper and 20min to ramp doesnt dictate a HD truck imo.
    For us we are not brand whores so i would shop the big3 and find the best deal for age and mileage.

Lots of opinions on which one is better but reality is they ALL have pros and cons and any when taken care of will do what you need.

See what models fit your price, do some research on common issues with each model and start shopping CL and autotrader.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Great points. Been researching and pricing the ones listed above plenty.

Another one I missed was an expedition.

I agree with your half ton quarter ton comment. I think I will stick with half ton should I get a truck.

Do you have a minimum seating requirement? Most pickups have 5 seats with a center console, although some have a front bench that technically seat six with the middle reserved for small kids on a short rides.

If you have a big family or frequently take a child’s friend or two along, you may want that third row a large SUV provides. I think the Expedition’s can be had for the cheapest and they have the higher tow ratings than the GM family of large utes.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)