Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by corvette8189 View Post
    Yes it will be quieter. Install can be a pain. Getting the factory outlet off is the hard part.
    Let me know if I can help you out.
    Be careful. Had I known the gigantic pain in @$$ this would end up being, I never would have started. I now have a brand new FAE in the Garage and I don't know if I am going to install it (again.)

What you don't know.

1. Its a pain in the D!ck to get the old exhaust off.
    2. 3m 5200 is the most messiest Stuff invented by man. It will get everywhere. Gloves and masking tape are a must.
    3. Your boat may still leak.
    4. FAE does not use the factory indexed 4 holes. so you need to drill 3 new holes that are close to the old holes in the transom. This is moronic beyond explanation.
    5. SC uses the thinnest transoms in the industry. ( or so I am told ) At 1" thick I believe it. this causes flexing issues with the exhaust. = failures.
    6. this is a 2 person job.
    Finally, you need to trust that the newer improved version is not going to break like the older ones did. Larry assues me it won't.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
    Be careful. Had I known the gigantic pain in @$$ this would end up being, I never would have started. I now have a brand new FAE in the Garage and I don't know if I am going to install it (again.)

What you don't know.

2. 3m 5200 is the most messiest Stuff invented by man. It will get everywhere. Gloves and masking tape are a must.
    4. FAE does not use the factory indexed 4 holes. so you need to drill 3 new holes that are close to the old holes in the transom. This is moronic beyond explanation.
    5. SC uses the thinnest transoms in the industry. ( or so I am told ) At 1" thick I believe it. this causes flexing issues with the exhaust. = failures.
    Finally, you need to trust that the newer improved version is not going to break like the older ones did. Larry assues me it won't.
    Talked me out of it. Maybe I should just buy a new boat instead lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

lol me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    Talked me out of it. Maybe I should just buy a new boat instead lol!

2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post

What you don't know.

I have installed 2 FAE on my boats, the 15 Mojo and my 18 SA. Neither were very difficult. The Mojo has super easy as the flange outlet from the factory was a different design and the pipe just slipped over it, screwed down with some 5200 and attached the supplied bracket. Actually did that on my lift sitting on a paddleboard. The SA was a bit harder, but not much. Used the pipe screw hole template, marked it, taped off then drilled. Oh, I can assure you the transom is more than an inch thick! That design, the pipe goes into the boat some to connect to the exhaust, used 5200 on the pipe to seal as well as the factory clamp. even with removing the surf locker floor, only took a couple hours start to finish for me and a buddy. The Factory pipe uses the same 4 holes, not sure why FAE didn't, but just filled the old holes with 5200, you cant see them after the new pipe is on.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    I have installed 2 FAE on my boats, the 15 Mojo and my 18 SA. Neither were very difficult. The Mojo has super easy as the flange outlet from the factory was a different design and the pipe just slipped over it, screwed down with some 5200 and attached the supplied bracket. Actually did that on my lift sitting on a paddleboard. The SA was a bit harder, but not much. Used the pipe screw hole template, marked it, taped off then drilled. Oh, I can assure you the transom is more than an inch thick! That design, the pipe goes into the boat some to connect to the exhaust, used 5200 on the pipe to seal as well as the factory clamp. even with removing the surf locker floor, only took a couple hours start to finish for me and a buddy. The Factory pipe uses the same 4 holes, not sure why FAE didn't, but just filled the old holes with 5200, you cant see them after the new pipe is on.
    I measured mine (through hole for exhaust.) It is right about an inch thick. I was shocked given the size of the boat and weight of the of the motor.

Per FAE

"....We are now on generation 3 in the evolution of FAE single exhaust (the FAE we sent you is an upgrade). In addition to studying FAE, we have also studied the failures Moomba/Supra have had with their factory installed surf pipes (which we do not manufacture).

While we have substantially strengthened the flange mount, the primary problem is that the Moomba/Supra transom is too thin (the thinnest in the industry I believe). That is the reason for the transom thickener we sent you.

The holding power occurs in the glue joint. Once the adhesive is cured, the screws are pretty much superfluous. If there is any movement in the adhesive joint, the screws and/or weld will eventually fail due to metal fatigue.

We go with three holes so there is a top center hole to hang the FAE from while installing; thus making vertical alignment easier to achieve. We purposely avoid the factory drilled holes because we don’t know the quality of the hole (too large?) and because factory installed parts are frequently not aligned perfectly
    (which is necessary for the fitment of a single exhaust outlet FAE)...."
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

That's a pretty solid explanation. Just seemed a lot thicker drilling through. I've had mine on since 18 with no issues. I did like the Mojo design better as it had a bracket arm for extra support.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

I believe Supra redesigned the factory pipe in 2020.

My 21 pipe looks much different than my 18 pipe

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I believe Supra redesigned the factory pipe in 2020.

My 21 pipe looks much different than my 18 pipe

I believe SC did for both Moomba and Supra. My factory one had a crack in the weld and I had it replaced this past fall under warranty. The new one is definitely shorter. I wanted to keep my old pipe to compare the 2 but my dealer said they have to send them back to SC for the warranty claim. I was bummed bc I was going to mount it in my garage coming out of the wall LOL.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    I believe SC did for both Moomba and Supra. My factory one had a crack in the weld and I had it replaced this past fall under warranty. The new one is definitely shorter. I wanted to keep my old pipe to compare the 2 but my dealer said they have to send them back to SC for the warranty claim. I was bummed bc I was going to mount it in my garage coming out of the wall LOL.
    Much shorter and less of a bend.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    That's a pretty solid explanation. Just seemed a lot thicker drilling through. I've had mine on since 18 with no issues. I did like the Mojo design better as it had a bracket arm for extra support.
    Interesting on the Mojo design from FAE. When I bought the FAE in 2018 I received just the single arm (no brace) one for my 2016 Mojo. I would much rather have a brace as well.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE