Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Boat, What are the things I need/want?

Ordered our first boat a little over a month ago. Can’t wait for summer but until then what do I need to start buying to be ready for boating and surfing. It’s our first boat and we are complete beginners at the whole thing. Surfed a couple of times last summer and loved it. We have always loved the water and beach, since we live in Utah and the beach is far away we bought a boat.
    Anyways what do I need/want???
    Thanks for the help.

For surfing, realize that 1 board does not not fit all. You can find used ones on Facebook or Craigslist, but spend the $ the fist time to get good boards.

I would also invest in a good CGA vests.

Surf ropes are pretty standard. I use t-handle for the kids. Be careful not to let people coil the rope while surfing.

Also, order things now. By summer lots of stock will be sold out, like last summer.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Big round inflatable bumpers (LetsTieUp, Exile, Wet Sounds etc) are great to have. I’ll never go back to a traditional fender.

Last edited by haknslash; 01-26-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Another view of them. They work great and combined with bungee dock lines they offer the most protection IMO!

2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by RidePC View Post
    Ordered our first boat a little over a month ago. Can’t wait for summer but until then what do I need to start buying to be ready for boating and surfing. It’s our first boat and we are complete beginners at the whole thing. Surfed a couple of times last summer and loved it. We have always loved the water and beach, since we live in Utah and the beach is far away we bought a boat.
    Anyways what do I need/want???
    Thanks for the help.
    Welcome from another Utah guy, what part are you from and what lake do you plan to frequent the most?

Quote Originally Posted by TRUBBS View Post
    Welcome from another Utah guy, what part are you from and what lake do you plan to frequent the most?
    I am also a Utah guy. Welcome!

You should have a good anchor. Most people are using box anchors now, but if you want to anchor and use the beach you will need two anchors to keep the boat where you want it and not have it come too close to shore. Also, you will need good rope for the anchor and I second the bungee dock lines. Make sure you have a reasonable set of tools onboard. I have a socket and short throw wrench dedicated to pulling the boat plug when we leave the lake. A good first aid kit is also a must.

Second vote for a box anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Second vote for a box anchor.
    we just picked one up from the place everyone here recommended. turns out they are based 1.5hrs south in havasu.
    it's a heavy arse anchor and we only ordered the medium.. can't wait to see how well it works.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    we just picked one up from the place everyone here recommended. turns out they are based 1.5hrs south in havasu.
    it's a heavy arse anchor and we only ordered the medium.. can't wait to see how well it works.
    We also have a medium and yes it is heavy! We were with my brother in law last May on Lake Powell and dropped it in about 60 feet of water. It held nicely in the wind and waves and there was minimal movement. I have never had an anchor place itself so solidly and require no intervention when the wind shifted, but I have only ever used Danforth anchors before. It was even harder to pull up though, since it had buried itself a little bit as it flopped in the water. I was convinced though and bought myself one as well and have not used it since then.

I use the small box anchor and it holds like a champ. They are rated for 30’ boats lol. The next size up is the large and it’s good for 40’ offshore boats and 32’ cabin cruisers. I think you’ll be good
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold