Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    Just a random thought about the electric over hydraulic brakes. When I solicit option opinions on a forum, I look for opinions that people seem most passionate about. Ya, there's always the Dos Equis guy who's like "get every option like I did". Most of the time within the same thread though, you find varying opinions on the same option. This thread is a good example. Some have put surf pipe as their number one option. Sandm says he wouldn't even get at all. Same with heater...etc

However...

People who have had EOH trailer brakes are absolutely FANATICAL about having them. Pretty much every single one of them. I don't mean "If you come in under budget, I'd maybe think of EOH brakes". I mean "That is the first option I am checking and I'll omit everything else before this".

I just upgraded my wheel size on my build, and am now thinking of going back to 15 inch wheels in order to put my money into EOH brakes. I mean one is for looks, the other is for safety. Sorry to deviate from topic, I was just thinking out loud.
    I've always found this odd. I tow a lot. I have 5 trailers, 35' dual tandem gooseneck, dump trailer, equipment trailer, enclosed, etc etc. I pull everything from an unloaded 2000 lb bumper pull to a fully loaded goosneck at 25000lbs+

After saying that I have zero issue with my SA and surge brakes. EoH is better sure but there's nothing wrong or unsafe about surge brakes. The slight jerk from a stop is a mild annoyance but otherwise it pulls and stops just fine. Maybe in the super steep mountains they are worth the upgrade but mien goes up and over monteagle on the interstate at 7% grade without issue.
    2020 Supra SA

My theory needs clarification, if you have a 4x4 you need to keep the front tires on dry pavement so that when in park, front axle is locked and tires grab,

All bets are off when all 4 tires are in algae.

May as well be on ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    Just a random thought about the electric over hydraulic brakes. When I solicit option opinions on a forum, I look for opinions that people seem most passionate about. Ya, there's always the Dos Equis guy who's like "get every option like I did". Most of the time within the same thread though, you find varying opinions on the same option. This thread is a good example. Some have put surf pipe as their number one option. Sandm says he wouldn't even get at all. Same with heater...etc

However...

People who have had EOH trailer brakes are absolutely FANATICAL about having them. Pretty much every single one of them. I don't mean "If you come in under budget, I'd maybe think of EOH brakes". I mean "That is the first option I am checking and I'll omit everything else before this".

I just upgraded my wheel size on my build, and am now thinking of going back to 15 inch wheels in order to put my money into EOH brakes. I mean one is for looks, the other is for safety. Sorry to deviate from topic, I was just thinking out loud.

that was my thoughts on this as well.... lots to think about! Glad to hear this perspective, very helpful!!

We do have a 4X4, and for the record have never had an issue at a ramp, in fact I've had to help pull other boats out on some nasty ramps in Austin. I do agree with the other's comment - "never overlook having good rubber".

That being said, we are at the higher range of our weight capacity for a 1/4 ton truck with boat, trailer and lead. Wondering if it can't hurt to have? if it comes down to it, bigger tires for flash or better brakes... I may go brakes. Lots to think about still!

sorry for the off topic guys, but appreciate the help! It IS for a Mojo, so maybe not totally off topic.. lol
    2021 Mojo
    2018 MAX - sold - 250 hours, absolute awesome boat.

The surf pipes are very nice when they are not cracking and leaking water into the boat. This has been a common issue on the factory installed ones, not sure if they figured out a fix for this or not yet, those things are just under a ton of stress.

Like others have said, heater is location dependent. In south eat Texas I did not order one and with my wife and kids, heater or not we would probably be done around the same time. It would make the Christmas boat parade more fun though.

EOH brakes were not an option when we ordered our boat. I'd love to find out if it retrofitable as that is something that just seems like a great safety feature and i HATE the clunk of the surge brakes. It's also huge to have trailer brakes while backing down a steep ramp with 7000 lbs pulling you backwards. I have slid the front tires a time or two.

I think needing 4x4 must be location dependent. Our ramps are so slick around Houston that you have to hold onto the bed of the truck walking down to unlatch the boat or else you will bust you rear. That being said I have never used 4x4 to pull the boat out and never had any wheel spin whatsoever. We may just have shallower angled ramps than other areas.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Around July our Ramps are snot slick with algae and if you don’t have 4x4 with front axle locked on dry pavement, it’s very likely for truck to slide down ramp once you release the brakes and parking brake doesn’t help because it only locks the rear brakes.

Watch any truck get pulled out of the lake that was submerged, the rear wheels are locked.

I still haven’t seen a factory surf pipe fail, I have only seen the aftermarket FAE failures.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post

I still haven’t seen a factory surf pipe fail, I have only seen the aftermarket FAE failures.

They were all over the Supra and Moomba boat owners facebook page
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    They were all over the Supra and Moomba boat owners facebook page
    That explains it, would love to see the failures

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I went way over budget on my mojo so trust me I've looked at every single tick on the build sheet haha

That being said I skipped the surf pipe, not a big deal to me.
    Skipped the heater, heard a lot of mixed reviews of them just not working the worlds best and taking up a lot of room
    But when it came to audio it was a big deal to me, I'm pretty tech savvy and was planning on doing a full audio build myself. Finally realized adding the bow speakers and the wiring for the tower speakers were worth it imo.
    Then when you consider the Full audio package comes with better cabin speakers, bow speakers, amplified cabin speakers, the subwoofer, and 2 rev 10s. Its worth every penny unfortunately, you can't even buy the audio for that price much less install it.

So my one big splurge on the boat was the audio,
    only other non necessities were underwater lights and the rear step on the trailer, the boat is way to tall to attempt to get into without it haha
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

When I ordered mine, I went for most all of the options (full audio, surf pipe, EOH, heater and a few others). I did them because for one reason or another I haven’t had them before, or I didn’t want to invest the time of doing it myself again. So as you’ve already seen, you will get a lot of thoughts on what to do.
    A lot will come to personal preferences, and of the things you listed which do you really want to have.

Although, as Josh just said, the price on the audio isn’t bad, and no more free air subs.. so I couldn’t pass that up.

Also, for surge brakes backing down the ramp... one thing I used to do if I were sliding was to drop the truck into neutral so the trailer brakes would engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post

Also, for surge brakes backing down the ramp... one thing I used to do if I were sliding was to drop the truck into neutral so the trailer brakes would engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    How does that work? The trailer is still pulling the truck, not pushing on it so the surge brakes would be lacking the surge required to activate
    David