Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

To answer the question of "what have others done to work past this issue", for towing my SL to the lake, I went out and purchased a Ford 6.0 Excursion.

I have used my 1/2 ton Chevy, but it does not stop well. If I'm at a steep ramp, the 4x4 helps, but the truck is REALLY straining. I'm killing it.
    2018 Supra SL400

EOH brakes. Changes everything. The rules Nazis will cite numbers, talk about warranties, talk about insurance liability etc;....but really you’re looking to be safe and practical, no?

Keep tongue weight appropriate and use EOH brakes. That’s as good as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Welcome to the wakeboat towing dilemma.

1/2 ton pickups are pushing the limits to tow these boats. 1/2 ton SUV’s even worse.

The trucks will pull it but research your hitch gear, brakes and payload limits.

Obviously a 3/4 ton pick up all day but understand that they are not ideal for daily drivers and family applications.

No Moomba is even coming close to pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton pick-up...Current 1/2 ton trucks are very capable of safely pulling heavy loads...(given your a capable driver)..

I’ve pulled a lot of heavy trailers in my life (my skid steer, boats, enclosed trailers, etc.) and it’s all about driving smart...

If your an idiot driver it won’t matter how big a truck your driving.
    2021 Moomba Max

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    No Moomba is even coming close to pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton pick-up...Current 1/2 ton trucks are very capable of safely pulling heavy loads...(given your a capable driver)..
    not sure where else you have lived but my f150 with 7700(3/4 ton pack) and tow pack didn't like pulling my old tige up and down 6% grades out west. when we moved to Green Bay it towed around that area like a dream. had we stayed in idaho, that truck would have been worn out years before it did in WI.

just food for thought. location matters as much as the actual payload and driver.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

My 2013 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost pulls my Mojo with electric brakes without braking a sweat. Tried towing it with my son’s GMC 1500 with the 5.3 V8 and it was working really hard. Only you will know how your truck handles the pull.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

My 18 Gmc Denali 1500 is rated for 12,500 lbs apparently, 6.2 V8 with 420hp and 460tq 8 speed transmission.

I agree a new 1/2 ton should be more than capable, the new diesel trucks are rated for so much more than you would ever need

That being said I'm currently actively looking for another diesel truck because more pwr is always better
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

What type of distance, frequency and roads are you hauling on? How much towing experience do you have?
    I'd start off finding out what the tough weight is of the boat and trailer.

I've towed alot with a WD hitch and have no problems backing up. Interesting that boatmate recommends not using WD hitches, I'd dig into that as well.

2005 Tige 22v

Default Makai hitch question

Also I see some of the modern WDH set ups allow for backing up. That was not always an option.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

1/2 or 3/4 ton, I could give a crap about the number. I just want to be able to stop and feel save hauling the boat to other lakes around the area. I will say the new tranny packages in some of those 1/2s are nice, just need the bigger brakes.

I agree with @dakota4ce on those trailer brakes.
    2018 Supra SL400

Default Makai hitch question

Airbags help a bunch. Even 3/4 ton guys using them.

2017 Supra SA