Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wet sounds do carry a looooooooong distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

This is my dilemma.

I didn’t love the REV10s on the boat I test drove, or hearing them in the showroom. However, the revos in cabin sounded much better than the base package (dealer had both options on the floor).

I went with the full upgrade sound system to get the revos and syn apps, but may switch our the towers.

I’ve read that you can tune the high output which will help, so we’ll see.

2021 Moomba Kaiyen (on order)
    2015 Manitou Aurora SVP
    1982 Checkmate Eluder

Before we all pile on one particular brand of horn loaded compression driver for being harsh, aggressive, bright or shouty, its only fair to say, this is an issue that has plagued HLCD's since they first hit the marine wake tower. Its the nature of the beast. So all of them suffer from it to some degree or another.

However, with the release of the Rev series, Wet Sounds made huge strides in sound quality. Lets compare the old 8" pro-80 and new Rev-8, as their was never a 10" pro-10 and its never fair to compare a smaller driver to a larger.

The old pro series were rip your face off bright, like all the others. With the new Rev-8 came a new cross-over and new compression driver. Wet Sounds did an phenomenal job taming some of those notes that were most unpleasant to the ear, while not sacrificing the projection. If you ever got to hear them side by side, or at least knew how the old pro-80 sounded, then listened to the new rev-8, it was noticeable different. Even then, its still an HLCD. Here we are 10 or so years later, and some HLCD on the market, are still ear bleeding bright, just like the first HLCDs 15 years ago.

Enter the 10" rev-10. One easy way to combat the aggressive compression driver, is to add mid-bass surface are. The extra surface area adds balance to the whole setup, making it much better sounding overall. This is one big reason why Wet Sounds moved from away from the 6.5" and focused on an 8" 10" Its why Kicker has a 9" and 11". There is no substitution for surface area. With that said, Theres more to the Kicker HLCDs then just size. They put alot into the mid-bass and compression driver voice coils, the cross-over and horn flare design. This helps them be more pleasing to the ear close up, but still have the intended projection that an HLCD should.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Before we all pile on one particular brand of horn loaded compression driver for being harsh, aggressive, bright or shouty, its only fair to say, this is an issue that has plagued HLCD's since they first hit the marine wake tower. Its the nature of the beast. So all of them suffer from it to some degree or another.

However, with the release of the Rev series, Wet Sounds made huge strides in sound quality. Lets compare the old 8" pro-80 and new Rev-8, as their was never a 10" pro-10 and its never fair to compare a smaller driver to a larger.

The old pro series were rip your face off bright, like all the others. With the new Rev-8 came a new cross-over and new compression driver. Wet Sounds did an phenomenal job taming some of those notes that were most unpleasant to the ear, while not sacrificing the projection. If you ever got to hear them side by side, or at least knew how the old pro-80 sounded, then listened to the new rev-8, it was noticeable different. Even then, its still an HLCD. Here we are 10 or so years later, and some HLCD on the market, are still ear bleeding bright, just like the first HLCDs 15 years ago.

Enter the 10" rev-10. One easy way to combat the aggressive compression driver, is to add mid-bass surface are. The extra surface area adds balance to the whole setup, making it much better sounding overall. This is one big reason why Wet Sounds moved from away from the 6.5" and focused on an 8" 10" Its why Kicker has a 9" and 11". There is no substitution for surface area. With that said, Theres more to the Kicker HLCDs then just size. They put alot into the mid-bass and compression driver voice coils, the cross-over and horn flare design. This helps them be more pleasing to the ear close up, but still have the intended projection that an HLCD should.
    Well said.
    Lots of people don't like horn speakers in the audiophile world either for the same reasons.
    Speakers always have been and always will be personal preference.
    There are many thousands of people out there running revs that love them and wouldn't trade them for the world. I'm just not one of them lol.
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    Lots of people don't like horn speakers in the audiophile world either for the same reasons.
    Speakers always have been and always will be personal preference.
    totally agree... I remember being taught many years ago and carried this lesson vocally when I was a sales manager for circuit city...
    when shopping for audio, ALWAYS buy speakers first and everything else last and ALWAYS bring a demo tune so you can compare apples. most people will tend to buy flashy hu's/receivers and tons of power from the amp, run out of money and skimp on the speakers. saw this over and over when selling home audio.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default ISO Wetsounds Rev8s or Rev 10s

This sounds very similar to discussions on performance car exhaust systems.

Or Harley exhaust......lol

Varying degrees of loudness and tone.

From soft/Quiet to full on being Ear F’d!!!!

Last edited by larry_arizona; 01-23-2021 at 04:57 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

So here is my dilema....i have an older pair of Rev10s ( gotta be 8+ years old )that this year the midbass drivers finally cracked and will need to be replaced. I have not reached out to Wetsounds for replacement parts yet but plan to. I'll be buying SOMETHING soon. Anyone have an idea on the price of midbass driver replacements? If theyre only a couple hundred im sure id go that rout but if theyre 800+ id surely be interested in the kicker11s since the revs are a little bright harsh to me too. Got a price on them MLA?????

Quote Originally Posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    I've been wanting get rid of a pair of my Rev 10's. Mounted on a Tige Tower. RGB lights. Great shape. No idea what they are worth, and I'm sure shipping would be a deal breaker. Anyways, let me know if you're interested. Maybe we can make it work.

Attachment 29360

Attachment 29359

Attachment 29357

Attachment 29358
    Where you located? PM me a price.....Im in Central Georgia.

Let’s say 50% off their website price? The cheapest pair on the site is $1450. The led lights are $160. So $800 plus shipping? Looks like they weigh 15 pounds each plus the box and packing. Shipped from 84104.

Quote Originally Posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    Let’s say 50% off their website price? The cheapest pair on the site is $1450. The led lights are $160. So $800 plus shipping? Looks like they weigh 15 pounds each plus the box and packing. Shipped from 84104.
    How old are they?