Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Newbie buyer need advise

First off, this site has helped so much with my research for buying my first "real" boat.
    So thank you all for the real life opinions and advise I have read over the last 9 months.

Secondly, I had to register to ask my own question and I need help. So here it goes.

Been in I/Os my whole life. Learned and taught many people to ski, kneeboard, and even wakeboard, but of course nothing compared to being in a dedicated wake boat. Fast forward to today and I have the luxury of actually shopping for what I want (within budget which is why Moomba).
    I tried shopping new but in Ohio inventory is limited and the boat show deals of past looks to be long gone.
    My current options within budget is a great optioned out 2017 Mojo 250hr, upgraded flow 2.0, auto wake raptor 400, etc. (You guys know the boat) for $62k.
    Next I can get a super clean 2007 Malibu V-ride for $22k power wedge, titan 3 tower, suck-gate, upgraded bags, 435hrs (seriously looks new)

Long term the moomba will last and fit our crew for life. The Bu I'm scared we will out grow but the budget is pay cash and enjoy.

Again this is for Ohio so 4 months of water time. It's also for kids and family not pro by any means. What would you guys do? I know dont buy a malibu blah blah blah I expect the hate....lol.

I went through the same thing, wanted a 20k boat just buy and go, which turned into a used 16 mojo with 225 hours for around the same price I think, now I have a brand new mojo getting built so actually I might not have the best advice.

I say think of what the mojo can do that the Malibu can not. If the Malibu Is really that clean it will probably hold its value as the mojo will continue to lose a little, however its 10 years newer.

I only have 4-5 months of lake weather as well however think of it as the boat will always have lower hours, so you can buy the more expensive boat since it will hold its value longer haha

But really what is going to be important to you? Are you going to be happy with the Malibu or wanting to trade next season?
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Here are the 2 boats I am talking about.IMG954621.jpgIMG954622.jpgATTACH=CONFIG]29340[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

How big is your typical crew? Because the max is Massive, 102" beam seating for 17
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

It's really just what you're comfortable with, price on both boats looks good.

I agree above, the malibu isn't going to depreciate much more, 20K for a vdrive anything is a good price.
    The Moomba will depreciate, but it's also a bigger boat that will do most everything better than the malibu.

The malibu is a low freeboard boat as well, so take into account what size lakes you're going to be on as that boat's not going to be fun when it gets rough.
    21ft gets small when you have more than 4 people in the boat, but is easier to maneuver and more fun to drive than the 23'. Comes down to your normal crew size I think.

The Bu would be a great boat to make sure you like it and are going to use it with minimal risk, if you find you don't go often enough you're not going to be out anything as you can sell it again at the same price next year or the year after, with the Mojo if you decide you don't want it you'll likely lose some money especially with the new '21 mojo redesign.

To summarize that convoluted mess:
    If you're confident you're going to use it and you will be with more then 4 people I'd go Moomba (or any other larger boat).
    Just testing the waters go Malibu.
    2020 Supra SA

Sent you a link to several new 2021 moombas in Michigan, check your PM.

They are doing the “no boat show” boat show this week and I can tell you they are doing deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Josh828 View Post
    How big is your typical crew? Because the max is Massive, 102" beam seating for 17
    Typical crew is 4-6 adults and 5 kids from age 6 to 13.
    Most still like tubing so need to store that.

We have made it on a 21SS Crownline but it sucks.

Been in a friend's VTX with 4 adults and 3 kids and that was crowded.
    The used Mojo is winning in the size and space range.

I have looked at a new Max for the same reasons. And cost is closer to my range over a new mojo. Wife still wants to ski so tje mojo appears to do that better than the max also.

With a crew that size I'd say that puts the Malibu out of the running. Just IMO, that's people sitting on top of people territory lol
    2020 Supra SA

Buckeye Sports in Akron has a 2021 Craz. good all around boat for ski, surf, wakeboard. 85k

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    With a crew that size I'd say that puts the Malibu out of the running. Just IMO, that's people sitting on top of people territory lol
    agree. that pic of the vride has 7 adults and they are basically sitting shoulder to shoulder. no way you're stuffing 5 kids on that boat in the pic.

I wouldn't let the wifey skiing deter any boat. none of the floating bathtubs are going to ski well-especially with 10+ people on board and I would be surprised if she notices a night and day difference between the mojo and max.

if you buy the malibu as your skills progress in boarding/surfing my gut is you will quickly outgrow that boat in terms of ballast capability. as sonic states you can sell for what you paid but the hassle of selling when you could do it once.

based on first post your family spends some time on the water so it should be a question of buy now and then buy again later or buy now at a higher price and enjoy.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten