Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2018 Moomba max Vs 2018 Centurion Ri237

Hey guys. I'm new here but I'm curious if anyone has actually ridden these two boats and surfed behind them.. I can buy a used 2018 moomba max for 80k Canadian or I can buy a used 2018 centurion ri237 ("supposedly" the best wakesurf boat on earth) for $130k

Has anyone surfed on both and can tell me if its worth the extra 50k? Or if after some tweeking you can make the moomba max wake almost as good as the centurion? I know were not comparing apples to apples when it comes to trim.. yes the centurion has heated seats and a bunch of other bs. Im not interested in that. Im strictly speaking. Wake to wake. Can u make a moomba wake like a centurion and is the 50k extra not worth it?

Thank you in advance for your input! Also curious about axis a22 wake. It looks way cleaner and bigger in videos but everyone says the moomba can crush it if done properly! Im financing the boat. So 50k is only like $200 a month difference. So if its an absolutely massive difference and umcomparably better ill go centurion. But if its like. Yeah its a bit cleaner and stronger.. then ill go for the max!!

Also I live in north Canada.. our lakes are frozen right now. So demoing these boats is not an option. And I need the boat for start of season for my new business. So sadly.its research only for these bad boys and no actual experience before purchase. Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by Ccoolliioo97; 01-16-2021 at 09:02 PM.

The max can give you a wave that most professional surfers would be happy with. No problems there. However, I do not think I’d pick a max if I was using the boat for any kind of business venture with clients or perspective clients. The max is a very loud boat compared to all of the higher end boats I have owned or been on. This could be problematic for your business, depending on what it is. You will be almost yelling to talk to people. If your business is a boat rental one, buy the max and let your customers destroy it, because they will.

Seems like an odd comparison...choice between a 80k boat and a 130k boat?! Is there nothing in between?

What is the whole story behind this...the only two boat available in your area?
    2021 Moomba Max

Quote Originally Posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    The max is a very loud boat compared to all of the higher end boats I have owned or been on. This could be problematic for your business, depending on what it is. You will be almost yelling to talk to people.
    They can indeed be loud, but $50 or so in cheap amazon peel and stick sound deadening mat and an hour or so install time remedies the loudness pretty well. I did it to my Mojo and the SA. The transmission hatch area and wall behind the seat to the engine bay, helps so much.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Ri237 has an amazing wave without question.

Also.. No was a Max wave “crushes” an Axis A22. Subjectively better with some work...sure. They are both good waves.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    The max can give you a wave that most professional surfers would be happy with. No problems there. However, I do not think I’d pick a max if I was using the boat for any kind of business venture with clients or perspective clients. The max is a very loud boat compared to all of the higher end boats I have owned or been on. This could be problematic for your business, depending on what it is. You will be almost yelling to talk to people. If your business is a boat rental one, buy the max and let your customers destroy it, because they will.
    To the OP ^^^^ this above is GROSSLY overstated. I own a Max. It’s louder than some boats, but is by no means problematically loud. It is no louder than my $140k SL was, and that’s not a particularly loud boat. Plus if that’s the issue, spend $80 and Dynamat the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t find myself yelling in my Max when cruising even with my wife sitting in the back corner.

As for Ri vs Max, completely different playing fields. I don’t know if it’s a 50k better wave or not but the boats are in way different price segments.

I think you need to buy these boats based off demoing them so as much as you may not want to hear it, I’d recommend waiting until Spring or whenever you can actually demo the boats you’re interested in. Keep in mind you can’t really judge a wave based off a dealer demo unless you know how to setup the wave and possibly bring some lead to simulate crew size.
    Last edited by haknslash; 01-17-2021 at 01:11 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Cruising sound clip for reference....

2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

And this is what it sounds like with a lot of ballast and when you forget to set cruise for surf speeds and your wife floors it

2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I surfed a ri237 3 months ago. One of the best waves i have surfed. If money was not a question i would take it over max but id just order an sa at 130k..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten