Thread: LED Bow lights?

Lightbulb LED Bow lights?

Any thoughts or recommendations on adding LED bow lights, similar to what i'm seeing in the 2021 Moombas at the Dealer.
    My 2021 Mondo does not have the factory lights, but has the spot and I presume the wiring?
    Not running the boat ever in the evenings or dark, but thought it might be an easy winter project (as a just in case/safety factor at Lake Powell).
    Worth the hassle? Any benefit as we're not doing the lake house thing in Utah?
    Not too jazzed about cutting into the hull either

IMG_4543.jpgIMG_4663 2.jpg
    2021 Mondo
    2017 Mondo

You mention Lake Powell. Always good to have the lights there, especially if you are house boating. We turn them on during evening swim sessions.

my opinion fwiw....

if you were running at night I'd do it. if you're not, I would not for something that you aren't going to use.

heard powell is similar to mead and for us, we go early in the am rather than late at night as there's too many underwater obstacles around mead to come back after sunset but that's just us. and it's a whole lot cooler at 7am than 9pm in the summer

that said sure installing them is nothing more than a hole for wiring and a couple holes for screws. pretty easy stuff to cut/drill but locating the wiring could be another can of worms.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I opted not to order the lights on our new boat. We had some in our old LSV and never used them more than once or twice in 8 yrs. Granted they were not LEDs but never really saw a need to use them.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

good feedback. thanks guys.
    i'm certainly not a fan of running at dusk or night.
    just too much risk, especially with the family.
    i think i'll pass on this project.
    2021 Mondo
    2017 Mondo

I'm guessing you are talking about the LED Docking lights. These are not running lights and should not be used while you are out on the lake driving the boat. They do not allow the driver to see better when out on the lake at night. In fact, you would not even know you had them on. They are nothing like headlights on a car. That said, they would be annoying to others on the lake if you have them on while out driving at night. I use mine strictly when docking at night or after dusk. When used for docking, they do light up the dock, somewhat, making it easier to dock at night. They are great for that. They may be good for loading onto the trailer at night but I've never used them for that so I can't speak to it. If you are not trying to dock at night, don't bother.
    2020 Supra SE 450

If you are looking for illumination for low light Powell boating, I would recommend a decent light bar installed on top of the tower. You don't have to cut into the boat, and I have seen some of these things darn near light up an entire freaking canyon they pack such a punch.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    If you are looking for illumination for low light Powell boating, I would recommend a decent light bar installed on top of the tower. You don't have to cut into the boat, and I have seen some of these things darn near light up an entire freaking canyon they pack such a punch.
    My Mastercraft has the spot lights on the tower ( integrated into the tower speaker cans) and they are almost useless. They deck colour is light, as most boats are, and the light reflects off off it so bad that visibility beyond the bow is reduced to almost zero. My Moomba has the lights on the hull is so much better. Don’t go with forward lights on the tower unless your deck gelcoat and upholstery are very dark.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop