Default Floe boat lift - maxis versus airmax canopy questions

We have a 2015 Mondo. We are considering a Floe lift, probably the 6500. Dealer asked about getting the maxis versus the airmax canopy on the lift. Does anyone have experience with either? Wondering about added expense of airmax tilt option being worth it...no idea at this point how much more it will be though. Would love to have as much coverage as possible around the boat without having to take tower up and down when entering and exiting...do not want to do that. Any experience with either canopy? Any thoughts?

One thing - I would go for the 8000 if I were you ... I have a 2018 SL which is without fuel etc 5400 net weight which exceeds the capacity of the 6500 lift.

So if you upgrade to a newer boat your lift will be likely undersized. I do not have the max or airlift canopy so I do need to lower tower depending on lake level (and yes because it’s electric it’s a bit easier) but the extra cost for the canopy doesn’t warrant this for me.

So I would put the money towards the heavier lift and not to the canopy ...

My 2 cents ...
    2018 Supra SL400
    2017 Malibu 23LSV
    2011 Epic 23V
    2007 Epic 23V

I had a 4600lb floe lift, and was NOT really happy with it. Had several issues over the years and Floe eventually stopped making it. Not to mention it was quite expensive due to it saying "floe" on the side. I will say however that having to take the tower down is a PITA but really not the biggest deal with my 2019 mondo tower. Its two handles and done. Then i put it back up when inside. My new lift is a shorelander and it has the cut out at the back of the lift for wake towers. I just have to raise it one more notch and i won't have to take the tower down anymore which is my project for this spring.

My advice is to get the lift you want ONE time and pay. Don't be like me and switch lifts 3 times over 3 years because i was cheap to begin with. Get a lift with a cut out or riser. And make sure you look at other brands too. Some of the lift companies have come up with some great ideas. I have been extremely impressed with my Shorelander 6000... wonderful lift for the price.

and one more thing to check on the Floe lift, see if the canopy frame is actually attached to the lift itself and not just sitting on top. Not sure if they changed this yet, but the canopy's on floe lifts where NOT affixed to the lift with any bolts. They just had a thru bolt that went into the tubes to keep it in place. I good stiff wind would take the canopy right off.
    Last edited by jason1973; 12-15-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    2019 Mondo

Thank you both. My mondo is 3,800 lbs without gas etc. I just bought the Mondo and it is in storage now, so I have no idea how easy it will be to lower my tower. My plan is to go with the 6500 VSD with the understanding being it is actually on the 8000 VSD frame. The only difference is the lift motor. If I ever upgrade to a larger boat, which would be doubtful given our lake is 150 acres and I have depth issues at my dock, the fact Floe uses the same frame and component pieces for the 6500 as the 8000 it would allow me to just exchange the motor if I ever upgraded. This is a big bonus in my mind.

I will check out the canopy question. I do have say, I sent Floe a question via their website and actually got a call back from one of their VP's Gary Johnson. He was fantastic and answered all my questions and even directed me to a dealer.

Default Floe lift

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    I had a 4600lb floe lift, and was NOT really happy with it. Had several issues over the years and Floe eventually stopped making it. Not to mention it was quite expensive due to it saying "floe" on the side. I will say however that having to take the tower down is a PITA but really not the biggest deal with my 2019 mondo tower. Its two handles and done. Then i put it back up when inside. My new lift is a shorelander and it has the cut out at the back of the lift for wake towers. I just have to raise it one more notch and i won't have to take the tower down anymore which is my project for this spring.

My advice is to get the lift you want ONE time and pay. Don't be like me and switch lifts 3 times over 3 years because i was cheap to begin with. Get a lift with a cut out or riser. And make sure you look at other brands too. Some of the lift companies have come up with some great ideas. I have been extremely impressed with my Shorelander 6000... wonderful lift for the price.

and one more thing to check on the Floe lift, see if the canopy frame is actually attached to the lift itself and not just sitting on top. Not sure if they changed this yet, but the canopy's on floe lifts where NOT affixed to the lift with any bolts. They just had a thru bolt that went into the tubes to keep it in place. I good stiff wind would take the canopy right off.
    Thank you both. My mondo is 3,800 lbs without gas etc. I just bought the Mondo and it is in storage now, so I have no idea how easy it will be to lower my tower. My plan is to go with the 6500 VSD with the understanding being it is actually on the 8000 VSD frame. The only difference is the lift motor. If I ever upgrade to a larger boat, which would be doubtful given our lake is 150 acres and I have depth issues at my dock, the fact Floe uses the same frame and component pieces for the 6500 as the 8000 it would allow me to just exchange the motor if I ever upgraded. This is a big bonus in my mind.

I will check out the canopy question. I do have say, I sent Floe a question via their website and actually got a call back from one of their VP's Gary Johnson. He was fantastic and answered all my questions and even directed me to a dealer.

The canopy frame is fully attached to the posts. However the crossbars are not as their merely there to provide support for the canopy. The straps floe provides for their factory canopy work well and hold the canopy perfectly down. I bought an aftermarket canopy for my lift with bungees and honestly I need a lot more of those to keep the canopy in place even being in a cove which is mostly wind protected. The reason I know the difference is because I had first a 5000VSD with the original canopy and then upgraded to a used 8000VSD which came without so bought original frame and aftermarket canopy.

Whatever you buy - follow the maintenance instructions - had to replace the ball screw as I didn’t grease it properly (which isn’t entirely my fault as it wasn’t properly assembled so I couldn’t grease it where I was supposed to. Floe paid for the part but had to pay for labor ... luckily I noticed it before it jammed up so was able to use boat before it got fixed.

I do agree that some lift manufacturers have come up with canopies you can open up in the back so you don’t need to lower tower etc. My preference is to have the boat tugged under the canopy so I’m getting little to no dust or debris in which requires the tower to come down anyway but that’s my preference so to each its own. As I said before I do need to raise and lower boat lift due to water level fluctuations so having the ability to do that without being in the water is convenient but I assume other lifts have caught on to this.
    2018 Supra SL400
    2017 Malibu 23LSV
    2011 Epic 23V
    2007 Epic 23V

I have the Maxis canopy and it works great for protecting the boat and tower. It is at our weekend place so during the week I fold the tower down and cover the boat which allows me to put the boat higher up into the canopy and provide Maximum protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. That is exactly what my plan is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post
    I have the Maxis canopy and it works great for protecting the boat and tower. It is at our weekend place so during the week I fold the tower down and cover the boat which allows me to put the boat higher up into the canopy and provide Maximum protection.

That is my plan as well. Quick question...did you go with the solar system? And also the anchor system? I was not sure if the solar system was necessary given it says it will cycle 177 times without charging and I was not sure the purpose of the anchor system either.

I’m not familiar with the anchors but I always have my boat on the lift. If I was to take boat to another lake for extended period of time I would remove canopy to prevent storm damage. I do have the solar set up for power.

For reference I have a 2020 Supra Se on the lift and it is the 8000.