Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I stand corrected.....after a brief bit of research, CF Moto international is based in China. Not a chance in hell I would own one. No wonder they were still on the showroom floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post
    I stand corrected.....after a brief bit of research, CF Moto international is based in China. Not a chance in hell I would own one. No wonder they were still on the showroom floor.

I felt the same way initially. I've been looking at them for a while, reading reviews from owners and their experience on long term ownership, tons of vids on youtube. They've been around for 25 yrs and very popular in Europe I've learned. They make engines for many manufacturers, including KTM. So far appear to be well liked by owners, generally. Like anything else mechanical, they'll hold up only as well as you care and maintain them. They offer a very compelling value proposition. Feature-feature, they are thousands below comparably equipped ATV's. Things like doors, roof, side mirrors, winch, blinkers and other features are all standard whereas these are typically extra on other mfr's. I'm not saying its the best and I'm not planning to pick an SXS up until spring, so I have time, but I wont just offhand dismiss it as a possibility because of its provenance. I'm still researching it. But if I can get a polaris or Canam comparably equipped for 500-1000$ more, I'd prolly go that route.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

I read the article about the KTM JV. I took that to be KTM making motors for motorcycles, not the SXS or ATV’s. Maybe I am wrong on that. I would research a little more on things like horse power and torque. Their specs look low. For example the 1000v twin is only 79hp. My Can Am Renegade 1000 ATV is 90hp....for an ATV. Other manufacturers are well up over 100hp for SXS. I would also look at weight, suspension manufacturer, and quality of aftermarket accessories. If you intent to do harsh trail Riding, those things are critical and won’t last if they are cheap. SXS and ATV’s are not like boats in the sense that if you just “maintain them they will last forever”. They are made to take a beating and they do! However, if they don’t have high quality parts they won’t last one ride. This all depends on how you ride them also. I like rock crawling, mud, sand, speed, and pretty much anything the trails can through at you. If you are going to go out and just roll around and drink some beers, then those things aren’t as critical.
    The KTM partnership is intriguing though. KTM and Husqvarna have made some real commitments over the last few years to dominate the motocross and supercross industry and they have done a great job of it. KTM makes good stuff for sure. I just have a hard time buying anything Chinese if I can help it....especially these days.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

For perspective,

If a Chinese wakeboat manufacturer knocked off a Supra for moomba money, would you buy it?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Nope

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

This thread reminds me of a funny Meme I saw....

Salesman Slaps roof of RZR

“ Just serviced and got a new belt, she’s only had one test drive.... just needs a new belt”

UTVs break all the time.... even the best brands. I’d make sure I was buying a brand with good parts availability.

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    For perspective,
    If a Chinese wakeboat manufacturer knocked off a Supra for moomba money, would you buy it?
    can't say I'd buy it 100% but I'd sure give it a once over and read the reviews. almost everything that runs on electricity in anyones house anymore comes from china and we all line up like minions to buy the next iphone or galaxy or xbox or or or.. so what makes a boat any different other than the initial cost?

heck, a chunk of what goes into these are made in china as it is.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I am sure the current boat OEMS rely on China sourced suppliers much like Automotive, however, there is a big difference as to where things are designed and engineered versus manufactured.

That said, I personally would not opt for a Chinese reverse engineered and manufactured boat, SXS or any vehicle for that matter.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post
    I read the article about the KTM JV. I took that to be KTM making motors for motorcycles, not the SXS or ATV’s. Maybe I am wrong on that. I would research a little more on things like horse power and torque. Their specs look low. For example the 1000v twin is only 79hp. My Can Am Renegade 1000 ATV is 90hp....for an ATV. Other manufacturers are well up over 100hp for SXS. I would also look at weight, suspension manufacturer, and quality of aftermarket accessories. If you intent to do harsh trail Riding, those things are critical and won’t last if they are cheap. SXS and ATV’s are not like boats in the sense that if you just “maintain them they will last forever”. They are made to take a beating and they do! However, if they don’t have high quality parts they won’t last one ride. This all depends on how you ride them also. I like rock crawling, mud, sand, speed, and pretty much anything the trails can through at you. If you are going to go out and just roll around and drink some beers, then those things aren’t as critical.
    The KTM partnership is intriguing though. KTM and Husqvarna have made some real commitments over the last few years to dominate the motocross and supercross industry and they have done a great job of it. KTM makes good stuff for sure. I just have a hard time buying anything Chinese if I can help it....especially these days.

I appreciate the input. I'll certainly take all these in consideration before dropping 12-13k on a machine.
    I do agree though, I would rather not buy Chinese, but like sandman said, if we go that route, then we should not be buying iphones, Macs, other computers, coffeemakers, TV's, medications, and the hundreds of items we all have around our homes. I do not plan to ride too hard. Mostly go out and have a few beer and enjoy the outdoors. You can get a can am or Polaris with a couple K miles for the price of a new CF, but I am wary of buying these used as people tend to ride them hard and one does not know how well they were maintained. Heard bad things bout Arctic Cat from owners, and the Kawasaki's are just as expensive and Honda's are as expensive as a well equipped small sedan.

As far as the Supra/Moomba question, I don't believe I would. I feel like there's more stuff, more expensive that can fail on a boat, and given price, say 60-80K prolly for a Chinese knockoff boat, that's still a lot of money and I'm going to want something that is quality and reliable If I'm paying that much. And further, if I am willing to pay 70K for a boat then I'm likely open to pay an extra 20-25k for the real thing and sleep well at night. I would not drop 70k of hard earned money on a Chinese made knockoff product. I am more willing to sacrifice reliability the lower the price of the item.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    can't say I'd buy it 100% but I'd sure give it a once over and read the reviews. almost everything that runs on electricity in anyones house anymore comes from china and we all line up like minions to buy the next iphone or galaxy or xbox or or or.. so what makes a boat any different other than the initial cost?

heck, a chunk of what goes into these are made in china as it is.

This is true. Chinas manufacturing is as good as the (American) engineer intends it to be. They can and do build stuff as good as can be, when it’s called for. It’s just not called for real often, sadly.