Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2019 Makai (Rough Water)

We considering a Makai for our next boat to replace a Yamaha 23ft Wake. Kids really getting into the Surf game and just doesnÂ’t work well with a Jet.

Questions:

We are mostly on big water (Lake Ontario) how will the Makai handle in the big water?

The used 2019 were looking at has 175hrs is that avg or should I be concerned?

Most wakeboard are not good on rough water.

If I had to buy a boat for rough water like the Great Lakes, I would look into a Centurion due to a V hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Makai is a nice big dry boat. Does well. Flatter deadrise but beautiful wakeboard wake as a result.

https://boardcoboats.com/centurion/c...y/opti-v-hull/

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Most wakeboard are not good on rough water.

If I had to buy a boat for rough water like the Great Lakes, I would look into a Centurion due to a V hull.

I agree with Larry.

I was on Powell once when it got pretty sporty. I was in my friends Ri237 and we had another friends MC X24 behind us (with the Centurion mitigating much of the chop). The MasterCraft couldn't keep up. The deep V hull thing is not just marketing, it made a difference. Now that same hull can be a liability in shallow water due to excessive draft, but in your "lakes" the Centurion would give you a noticeably better ride. I'm just not sure it would be 40-50k better.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

MB has a pretty deep hull as well at a much better price point (probably close to exactly what a Makai goes for). I know there is limited dealer support though (although Michigan has a great dealer I hear), but it could be a good compromise.
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

our first tige drafts as much as the makai and it was pretty rough on the bay of green bay in 2ft chop. it was considered a deep v.
    the centurion 237 I was on a month ago had no issues plowing over other wakes but it was far from a smooth ride so doubt it'll be mercedes vs fiat ride quality.

I'd agree with larry that these boats are not the best for big water swells.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    our first tige drafts as much as the makai and it was pretty rough on the bay of green bay in 2ft chop. it was considered a deep v.
    the centurion 237 I was on a month ago had no issues plowing over other wakes but it was far from a smooth ride so doubt it'll be mercedes vs fiat ride quality.

I'd agree with larry that these boats are not the best for big water swells.
    What Tige is a deep V?

Quote Originally Posted by MonctonR1 View Post
    We considering a Makai for our next boat to replace a Yamaha 23ft Wake. Kids really getting into the Surf game and just doesnÂ’t work well with a Jet.

Questions:

We are mostly on big water (Lake Ontario) how will the Makai handle in the big water?

The used 2019 were looking at has 175hrs is that avg or should I be concerned?
    I spend a lot of time on Erie fishing, and couldn’t imagine having a wake boat there as you would be really limited on the days when the water would cooperate. Not sure how Ontario compares but I would think it’s similar. I’ve never recommended this before, but any thoughts on one of the new I/o’s with surf system? Or maybe hitting the smaller lakes in your area? I’m sure it’s doable though as we grew up wakeboarding on Erie, so if your set on an inboard I’d listen to the other recommendations.

Default 2019 Makai (Rough Water)

Problem with the Great Lakes is how fast the conditions can change.

No way I would take my SA on the Great Lakes UNLESS it’s east or west grand traverse bay as you get some windbreak from land and can always hug the relatively shallow shoreline.

But even on grand traverse bay, you best watch the wind forecast and continually monitor it.

Wakeboats only need to take a few rollers over the bow to swamp them.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan