Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Problem with the Great Lakes is how fast the conditions can change.

No way I would take my SA on the Great Lakes UNLESS it’s east or west grand traverse bay as you get some windbreak from land and can always hug the relatively shallow shoreline.

But even on grand traverse bay, you best watch the wind forecast and continually monitor it.

Wakeboats only need to take a few rollers over the bow to swamp them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks all... might be best to think about a VP fwd Drive as a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    What Tige is a deep V?
    compare the 22/24ve hulls. they are very similar to the enzo and mb hulls where the vee carries all the way to the transom with a little different "hook" on the outside edges. have a passenger move from left to right when moving and you will feel the boat tip to one side or the other similar to your old mb. new tige's are not as pronounced due to the surf systems and sheer weight to sink it.
    tige's ve series rough and tough weigh around 3-500lbs less than their mb/enzo counterparts so they don't draft quite as much and their theory was better fuel economy at cruising but that's debatable.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Gotcha. I have never heard the V/Ve labeled as deep V before.

Moomba Mojo transom deadrise: 10.5 degrees
    24Ve transom deadrise: 12 degrees
    Centurion Ri transom deadrise: 20 degrees

Lotsa deep V runabouts hover in the 18-20 degree range I think.

I had a 24Ve for a couple years. That was a great boat!

I know that Centurion Ri is one of the deepest, but if you are spending that much money, I would look I/O. Moomba and Supra - no way.

Growing up on Lake Erie, season is short. Even shorter with you account for sunny days and 1-2' or 2-3' chop. It's still chop. To many NW and NE wind days. Thus why no dealers up there.

We used ski boats on inland lakes and the occasional early AM or later in the evening in Lake Erie.

Miss that lake but I get more water time in the south.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

I had a 24Ve for a couple years. That was a great boat!
    what haven't you had??

never see much conversation on the vp forward drive surf wakes. everyone is quick to point at heyday but wonder how the wake really is on some of the larger cobalts and do they lend themselves to additional ballast like wakeboats...
    no expectation that it's in the same league as the wakeboats of today but wonder if they are decent for someone to play around on and enjoy.

Either I am a pathological liar or I’ve had a whole bunch of boats! My first one was a 2006 24VE. Huge project and really nice boat. We cut our teeth on that bad boy and I modified the daylights out of it.

I was asked to the lake two summers ago to help a friend make his R6 cobalt work better. The bottom line is that it did not have nearly enough weight. So I brought all my sacks all my pumps and we loaded that thing down, and low and behold it put out an ice wave. I would say once it got heavy it needed to be tweaked on the propeller department. Which I suppose is no small proposition given that it has two of them.

Furthermore I think they have come a ways in the last couple years to make them work better. I think a guy could have plenty of success and fun using one. There are several on the lake at our place.

And also as an interesting sidenote, that day a snake came up on our boat out in the middle of the lake. That was not cool.

And also as an interesting sidenote, that day a snake came up on our boat out in the middle of the lake. That was not cool.

Water snake?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

The sumbitch was swimming along 300 yards from any land. I didn’t identify the species but about crapped my board shorts when I went to the back of the boat. Then it got punted.

there's posts weekly about guys seeing rattlers and bullsnakes swimming in mead. I don't EVER want to see one up there but I suspect it's bound to happen especially since we typically run the same area to surf and it's not too far off shore..

interesting on the vp. I'd have a hard time swallowing the pricetag pill for those vp boats as they are priced same or higher than a good wakeboat. other than bathroom on board, steering and possibly better chop ride not sure what else would be the attraction.