Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    ok, makes sense. 1 more question if you don't mind. So my thought is that in order for that extra heat exchanger to work, the hot coolant that comes out of the engine would have to be moving/flowing through the hose/heat exchanger, meaning that the heater would have to be turned on. If the heater isn't turned on then there isn't any hot coolant to warm up the water going to the shower. In my mind it seems like if i add the extra heat exchanger then i would have to have the heater turned on when running the shower to get the shower hot. Does that make sense?
    Your circulation pump for the heater is always on with the engine on (it's tied to the fuel pump circuit) so when you turn on the heater the only thing you're turning on is the blower fan.
    The coolant is running through it all the time in a constant loop when the engine is running.
    The shower setup would be the same, coolant always flowing through the heat exchanger but no hot water until you turn on the shower pump.

Something that just occurred to me is that that first burst of water when turned on will have been sitting in the exchanger so it will be quite hot (engine temp most likely).

May not be a great idea afterall, i'd hate for a kid to turn it on and get blasted with a seconds worth of 160 degree water.
    2020 Supra SA

Thanks again Sonic, i always assumed that the pump for the heater only turned on when you flipped the switch. So the pump is always running, circulating the coolant up to the heater core and turning the heater on just starts the blower. good to know.

As far as the water being too hot i don't think that would be too much of an issue. that hot water has to go up to the mixing valve where you control how much hot and cold is mixed and then it goes to the pump and then out to the shower nozzle.

I did stop by my dealer this morning and talked to the mechanic and he said that he thought that the water coming out after the heat exchanger is pretty hot, not just warm. I think i will go ahead and get things installed and see how it works. If the water isn't hot enough i will then look into adding another heat exchanger.

I will update in the spring when i get back out on the water.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I think thats your best bet. I would steer clear from trying to heat any water with the coolant going to the heater. Chances are if you want warm shower water someone else wants warm air blowing on them. Running cold water through a heat exchanger will cool the hot coolant right down. So your heater will blow cold air.

Default help with shower install on Raptor engine

Looks like these work on open or closed cooling systems.

https://heatercraft.com/products/flu...=4076466864159

Tap hot water from after your raw water heat exchanger and cold water closer to the intake side of raw water.

This would leave your in boat heater fully functioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 12-06-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

yea, that's the one i have. I've had that one on 2 other boats and they work great.

Unstuck, that's a good point i didn't think about. Heater is usually running if it's cold enough to need the shower. I'm pretty sure the hot water coming after the heat exchanger will be hot enough. I'll hook it up and give it a try and update later on.
    Last edited by 996scott; 12-06-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Keep us updated on the install, I am curious.
    As I said I haven't done it just read from multiple folks on the Bu forum that it doesn't get hot enough to be useful.
    Would definitely simplify things if it just worked!
    2020 Supra SA

Me too. I'd like one, but never made the effort because of poor results from those that have tried.