Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bimini Top Positioning

I just put up the factory bimini on my 2006 Mobius LSV for the first time yesterday and have issues with it. First off, the rear straps would not reach the rear eyelets as installed (or the front, depending on which ones you hook on first). Both the front and rear straps were adjusted to it's max length, and the rear straps were about 6" too short. When I got home, I loosened and had to slide the mounting collars about 4-1/2" rearward in order for the rear straps to click into the rear eyelets. Even so, the front straps are so short that instead of the canopy sitting level, it has a pronounced slope towards the front, so much so that I have to duck under it to get to the bow. Is everyone's else's factory bimini set up like this? It looks ludicrous to me as well as being impractical.

I plan to ask the Moomba dealer to give me longer straps for the front so that I can adjust the bimini to sit level.

I'm disappointed at this lack of attention to detail. I installed an aftermarket bimini on my last boat and I can tell you, I did a helluva lot better job than the folks at SC!

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default Re: Bimini Top Positioning

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367

I'm disappointed at this lack of attention to detail. I installed an aftermarket bimini on my last boat and I can tell you, I did a helluva lot better job than the folks at SC!

Al

It is my understanding that the biminis are put on by the dealers.

Sure it isn't on backwards?
    B

If it was ordered from the factory with the bimini, are the dealers still the ones to install it? Either way, they did a horrible job. Obviously, they never even put it up to test the placement of the mounting points and the strap eyelet things.

Yeah, I'm sure it's not on backwards. The front straps are much shorter than the rear ones, as the fronts hook on high up on the tower legs whereas the rears hook on to a point on top of the gunwale, so the rears have a lot further to go.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...1auHdw&notag=1

I have an 05 - check your set-up with these. This came up b4 and I sent these pix. Note the bimini direction and the tiedowns - you should have lots extra

SD2

SD2,

Thanks for the pics. But your 05 is a lot different set up than my 06. The tower is different, the attachment point of the bimini pole to the tower is different, etc. I do have the main support poles going towards the back, and the other two shorter ones going towards the front. That's got to be right because the straps on the front are so short (about 18", if that) that there's no way they would reach the rear eyelets if I turned the bimini 180 the other way.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can send me some longer straps. I can make it work from there.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I'm assuming that the eyelets to attach the bimini are installed by the dealer as well. Maybe they installed the ones in the front incorrectly too far away from the bimini and that's what is giving you your problems. I did notice on my 06 that the clamps that attach the bimini were off by over a foot from one side to the other, but that was an easy fix after I noticed it. At least with mine there is plenty of room for adjustment. You can move things around so you can bimini in about any position you want it.

the clamps that attach the bimini were off by over a foot from one side to the other
    Sounds like they didn't test fit your bimini either. I guess they leave it the customer to do the final fit up.

Yeah, looks like the front eyelets were mounted to low on the tower leg. Moving them up will require redrilling holes in the tower and plugging the others. I'll try the longer strap route first. I'll have to partially break down the bimini in order to replace the strap but I prefer that to drilling additional holes.

I remember there was another post recently where a new boat owner could not find the rear eyelets on his boat when they put up their bimini for the first time.

Seems to me that this ought to be all sorted out and ready to go when you pick up a new boat, especially one that was ordered with the bimini.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Yea, Did you get the open water checkout with the dealer? I'm big on those.

SD2

Quote Originally Posted by smokedog2
    Yea, Did you get the open water checkout with the dealer? I'm big on those.

SD2
    Very true.
    Jeremy at Atlanta Marine spent over an hour with my wife and I. Wouldn't let us leave until he felt comfortable with our ability to drive the inboard (both of us) First class experience.