Default ‘19 SE batteries

I just pulled my batteries out of my Supra SE for the winter. I noticed I have 2 cranking batteries. Is this normal in the new Supra’s?

What are thoughts on pulling batteries out for winter to keep somewhere warmer or leave in boat and plug in the on board charger? I store boat in unheated storage building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dealers pick your batteries.

Supra manual recommends high quality dual purpose 650cca series 27 batteries.

I would leave them in boat and plug in your charger full time.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

sure there will be lots of differing opinions on this one.
    in wisconsin I stored in a mildly heated building. think it was 50deg all winter. I pulled and put in the basement of the house on the workbench running the charger every month but in boise/vegas we leave in the boat and run the charger.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Id leave them in and let the charger do its thing. The cold will not effect a fully charged battery.

As to the battery types, really depends on the switch type and how you use the boat.

Default ‘19 SE batteries

As stated, as long as battery is well charged cold doesn’t hurt it. In fact, heat is far more detrimental to battery life than cold.

Granted, it’s extreme heat that doesn’t really occur on a boat setting, as the batteries are mounted away from the engine bay.

But cold won’t hurt the batteries and your onboard charger is a smart charger that keeps them healthy.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 11-26-2020 at 09:47 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

we've lived in both extremes of green bay and vegas. I can tell you cold will affect batteries just as much as heat IF the battery is not fully charged. keeping on a tender should prevent that BUT never know when the circuit blows or charger fails. not likely but might. a small drain over the winter will render batteries frozen if stored outside in a moderately cold climate.
    we had several every year that were late/absent from work in GB from frozen batteries.
    good read here https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...th-jeff-barron

heat is just as bad and it's not just heat from the engine. we have replaced all 3 car batteries in the 2.5 years we have been in vegas(2 were less than a year old when we moved here). I don't know anyone here that sells a battery with more than 3 years of warranty and some limit "3 year warranty" batteries to 1 exchange and that then voids the remainder of the warranty. average life span here is between 2-3.5 years. back in idaho I would routinely run 5-6 years on the interstate blems I would buy.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and removed batteries just to be safe. I had a battery freeze and break open last winter on our pontoon (did not have it connected to a charger). Living in Minnesota it gets cold so decided not to take the chance of a power outage in storage building.