Default Buying '17 Helix - Advice during buying process & bow ballast

Hi All - I'm a first time boat buyer and a possible 'soon to be' owner of a '17 Helix.

#1 - I have a water test planned in Texas for Dec. 5th. Any advice for things for me to look for during my walkaround / water test?

#2 - The boat has a little over 100 hours on it and has only been in fresh water. The seller stated to transfer any warranty would be $2k. Am I 'looking for trouble', by not paying $2k for a warranty?

#3 - Also, my main use of the boat will be surfing. The boat comes with the standard ballast 1700lbs, 'Flow 2.0 surf system' and 'Digital Cruise Pro 3', BUT does not come with the optional 'integrated bow sac', therefore, technically it's not labeled as a 'surf edition'. I have read through some of the forums already about setups for surfing, and upgrading the rear bags to the larger MW bags. But, am I creating more trouble then it's worth since the boat does not already have the 'integrated bow sac' already on board?

I have an email out to MW asking them about their bow solutions - they do not have a solution listed on their site currently for the '17 Helix. The rep stated "We have made a bag to go in the bow of that boat but I will need to check and see if that is something that we can place an order for and build again."

Any advice for a first time buyer is greatly appreciated! (And Happy Thanksgiving!)

Quote Originally Posted by M4Surf View Post
    Hi All - I'm a first time boat buyer and a possible 'soon to be' owner of a '17 Helix.

#1 - I have a water test planned in Texas for Dec. 5th. Any advice for things for me to look for during my walkaround / water test?

#2 - The boat has a little over 100 hours on it and has only been in fresh water. The seller stated to transfer any warranty would be $2k. Am I 'looking for trouble', by not paying $2k for a warranty?

#3 - Also, my main use of the boat will be surfing. The boat comes with the standard ballast 1700lbs, 'Flow 2.0 surf system' and 'Digital Cruise Pro 3', BUT does not come with the optional 'integrated bow sac', therefore, technically it's not labeled as a 'surf edition'. I have read through some of the forums already about setups for surfing, and upgrading the rear bags to the larger MW bags. But, am I creating more trouble then it's worth since the boat does not already have the 'integrated bow sac' already on board?

I have an email out to MW asking them about their bow solutions - they do not have a solution listed on their site currently for the '17 Helix. The rep stated "We have made a bag to go in the bow of that boat but I will need to check and see if that is something that we can place an order for and build again."

Any advice for a first time buyer is greatly appreciated! (And Happy Thanksgiving!)
    Do the water test and if you like the boat and the price ask the seller take the boat to the dealer and ask the dealer to perform a water test and inspection, about $150. Then get them to do the warranty transfer, yes you want the warrenty. I usually offer a small deposit so the seller knows I'm serious, then once all the paperwork is finalized I pickup the boat from the dealer.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

How much warranty is left on the boat?

$2000 for the Moomba and Indmar warranty with about 1 year left on it is questionable.

The Moomba warranty after year 3 doesn’t cover much and the Indmar engines are bulletproof.

I would save the $2000 and use that as your warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Do the water test and if you like the boat and the price ask the seller take the boat to the dealer and ask the dealer to perform a water test and inspection, about $150. Then get them to do the warranty transfer, yes you want the warrenty. I usually offer a small deposit so the seller knows I'm serious, then once all the paperwork is finalized I pickup the boat from the dealer.
    The boat is being sold through a dealership (boat is listed as "on consignment" with the dealer - so, the dealer is handling the transaction, water test and final delivery).

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    How much warranty is left on the boat?

$2000 for the Moomba and Indmar warranty with about 1 year left on it is questionable.

The Moomba warranty after year 3 doesn’t cover much and the Indmar engines are bulletproof.

I would save the $2000 and use that as your warranty.

I'm not sure how much warranty is left - I 'shut down' when they told me the warranty would cost $2k. (And that is what I was thinking - save the $2k for future repairs). It appears the original owner took possession in August 2017. I'll circle back with the dealer to ask them again and what would be covered (& the terms).

Then warranty runs out August 2022. So effectively 2 full seasons

Also $2000 sounds high. Most can do it for under $1500. Dealer sounds like they are gouging a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan