Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on tarp over tower for the winter

Hello, i was thinking about putting a tarp over my tower running the full-length of my boat as an additional layer of protection for the winter and wondered if this is a good idea or not. I have the factory cover but was thinking an extra layer of protection might help as I’ll be leaving my boat on the trailer outside for the winter. I live in NC so winters are not very harsh. Was going to use bungie cords or water filled containers to keep the tarp tight. Any thoughts on this or tips for storing outdoors over the winter would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Moomba Helix
    1989 MasterCraft Prostar (sold)

I'm over in TN. I have friend who parks his boat in the corner of the backyard. He used a heavier tarp over the boat cover and fastened to the trailer.
    Closed all the moisture entry points. Worked for him.

Every so often (1-2x month) on dry sunny days he would also open a corner of the tarp/cover to let it air-out during the day.

Make sure to get all water out of the hull area. I would buy a few buckets of damp-rid for the inside and open the cushions and storage areas.

Did you look into shrink wrap? That is a good way to go, little pricey.
    2018 Supra SL400

I have always understood that having a tarp sitting on top of the cover is not a good idea as the tarp will rub/chafe on the cover. If your tarp is over the tower and not rubbing on the cover that would be better, but i would assume that it would still be rubbing on the cover as you pull the tarp down over the sides of the boat. Just my .02
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

way back in the day I remember hearing the same thing scott points out but that was a long time ago and memories fade.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

During the season, I never used the actual boat cover. I just pulled a large tarp over the entire boat/tower, and bungee'd to the trailer. Opened the lockers and let things dry. For longer storage, id put the factory cover on, then pull the tarp over again. Keeps the bird crap and tree sap off the factory cover.

I usually put mine in a pole barn but didn't have room this year. I bought a cover designed for hard top fishing boats, just a generic cover. It fits pretty well. Not ideal but will work.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    For longer storage, id put the factory cover on, then pull the tarp over again. Keeps the bird crap and tree sap off the factory cover.
    Agree, I would do this during the summer when I pulled my boat next to the house under the trees. Sap was a pain in the azz.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Thanks for the feedback!

Good suggestion on the damp rid buckets. That stuff worked great in my old mastercraft over the winter and have 2 buckets in my Moomba for this winter.

I took a look at shrink wrapping but the cost has me looking at alternatives

One thing that concerns me with the tarp I have is that I’m not sure it will completely cover the boat. Seems like there is going to be some small opening on the side of the tower. I thought this might be a good way to get some air flow between the tarp and the factory cover but maybe I need to rethink that if this opening could let in moisture and trap it in there?

Going to take a look the cost of a covers like schwan has or at a bigger tarp that will not have openings when it’s over the tower.

But keep the suggestions/thoughts coming

2020 Moomba Helix

Quote Originally Posted by schwan View Post
    I usually put mine in a pole barn but didn't have room this year. I bought a cover designed for hard top fishing boats, just a generic cover. It fits pretty well. Not ideal but will work.

Going to look into something like this. Do you remember where you purchased and the cost?

2020 Moomba Helix

Yeah, sealskin covers, I bought this one, my 16 mojo is 23ft, I bought the 23'6" cover and it did just make it over the rear platform. I got their higher quality one. I'd say it should make it a few years. Cheaper than shrink wrapping.

2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315