Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

HFarr,
    I'm with you. I know boats work harder than a standard truck which the 6.2 was meant for. I looked this up once to make myself feel better but the logic made since to me.

Assuming the average speed for most people is 45mph (city/highway mix) over lifetime of driving. 500hrs x 45mph = 22,500 miles. Call the boat a heavy duty load and double the mileage this is 45,000 mile equivalent. Triple it 67,500 miles. Both of these are well under the life expectancy of the raptor engine.

So with you on the engine being solid. The hull and trailer would be my only concerns for warranty. The stereo, ballast system, etc. could all be upgraded for $1500 or less.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    For some thinking points.....Go check this link out. More for the reading of his comments than the video. Pro trainer Glen Fletcher has an SL450 with over 4,300 hours on it (this is about a year old, so more now I am sure) runs it hard and full ballast. He also mentions that his previous boat with a 6.2 indmar had over 10,000 hours on it. All with no trouble.
    https://youtu.be/vUWVYarVKAg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    I have friends that ride with Glen. Yes, his engine is very solid and well maintained, but he has been through a couple Vee drives. He is running the current 1.7 ratio now, which is amazing. I had mine changed out under warranty, that bill alone would have been well over $4K with parts and labor. The warranty also covers seats, screens, electronics, ballast bags and on and on. 1 or 2 years might not seem like much, but it is peace of mind.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

There are 3 different warranties.
    1)Indmar powertrain 5 to 7 years
    2)Skiers Choice bow to stern 1 to 5 years depending on hardware in question.
    3)Boatmate trailer 5 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    are there also not different steps to ensure compliance with each one? iirc reading on here the $1500 is ONLY for the indmar transfer(tige was similar for a fee to transfer the indmar portion) and the dealer may or may not charge to transfer skiers warranty?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    are there also not different steps to ensure compliance with each one? iirc reading on here the $1500 is ONLY for the indmar transfer(tige was similar for a fee to transfer the indmar portion) and the dealer may or may not charge to transfer skiers warranty?
    If I recall, Boatmate transfer is free, the other 2 total around $1500-2000

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    1)Indmar powertrain 5 to 7 years
    2)Skiers Choice bow to stern 1 to 5 years depending on hardware in question.
    3)Boatmate trailer 5 years

Correct.

1) Indmar (engine & powertrain) is 5 years (in this case and expires July 2024), full coverage once transferred. Gotta spend about $700 to $1,000 for this transfer, dealer has to read PCM and change fluids, do a service on the engine.
    2) Skier’s Choice, only covers parts after 2 years and but NO electronics or things Skier’s doesn’t make. Must pay a fee to transfer, not transferable thereafter.
    3) Boatmate warranty states it ‘only’ covers the original purchaser for 5 years, no transfer process.
    2019 Moomba Makai

Anybody have any experience with any aftermarket warranties? If so, worth it or waste of money, etc? I know there are several options that cover the whole boat and others that cover just the powertrain.

Was curious as to what repairs anyone is running into (if any) on newer model boats (meaning 2015+ year models). In other words, if something bad happens, should you just pay the repair bill if something breaks as to opposed to "pre-paying" for it in the warranty that you may never use.
    2019 Moomba Makai

The drivetrain Skier's uses (Raptor engine) is pretty stout. I had a pulley seize up, throw the belt and lead to an overheat issue. No major damage, but had to replace a $30 pulley and $40 belt. Took 1.5hr to change myself.

The o-ring in the rudder box failed and was causing a very small leak. Took 45 minutes to change.

Prop shaft water seal (thru hull shaft seal). Went with after market $130 + the v-drive puller tool. 2.5hrs

Fusion radio ms-205 failed after 6yrs. Upgraded $200 (warranty doesn't cover most times).

Not sure what the warranty would cover and what the cost would be. I am $400 in parts (including stereo) and 6-8hrs of labor - $125/hr = $750-$1000.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow