Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone ever lived at the beach??

I’m a lake guy, always been. Growing up we always had a family boat on Erie, and since I was in my early 20’s I’ve always had my own boat and spent countless hours on the water. Mostly into water sports, but we also do a lot of fishing up on Erie and occasional trip for big game fishing in Florida or Mexico. But never spent much time at the ocean until this summer and have really gotten into surfing and my wife really likes just cruising the beach with the dog. Just curious if it’s just a vacation kinda fun and would get boring after a few months, or if others have lived that life and found it enjoyable year round.

Not sure I’m ready to give up the Supra lake life just yet, but since beach houses have gotten more affordable than lake houses in our area, kinda tempting to throw in the hat, sell everything and cash out and get a small place at the beach lol. It doesn’t help that this summer was crazy at the lake and really in our area in general. Saw more Texas and Florida tags this year than sc tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd dump my boat in a heartbeat for beachfront property. I don't think it would ever get old unless you are living on a very busy public beach. that could be a bummer depending on who sets up camp for the day in front of your house.
    nothing better than listening to the waves crashing at night going to sleep.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I'd dump my boat in a heartbeat for beachfront property. I don't think it would ever get old unless you are living on a very busy public beach. that could be a bummer depending on who sets up camp for the day in front of your house.
    nothing better than listening to the waves crashing at night going to sleep.
    We were thinking a quieter beach in NC. Either beach front, or across the street from beach front. Apparently a lot of considerations beach front with insurance, beach preservation, and limited financing depending on setup.

I grew up on the beach in SC.

Major plus for the beach:
    Unlimited boating, there's no limit to how much you can explore vs a lake. It doesn't get old if you like to cruise and look for new spots unlike the lake.

Downside is maintenance, we've got a beachhouse in Edisto and it's just a constant battle to keep things in good shape. Everything (and I mean everything) made of metal corrodes. Ceiling fans, gutters, nails, stainless boat trim, etc etc all of it corrodes badly.
    Property tax sucks, I haven't compared it to the lake but it's steep, as is insurance.
    Hurricanes also suck, having to watch the news and wonder if you're going to have a house tomorrow is not fun, and then there's the inevitable cleanup after every storm. We've had to replace the dock 2x in the last 5 years.

But then there's the fact that you're at the beach so it mostly makes up for all that crap lol

To be honest I think it's really a 50/50 tossup on which you prefer lake vs beach.
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    I grew up on the beach in SC.

Major plus for the beach:
    Unlimited boating, there's no limit to how much you can explore vs a lake. It doesn't get old if you like to cruise and look for new spots unlike the lake.

Downside is maintenance, we've got a beachhouse in Edisto and it's just a constant battle to keep things in good shape. Everything (and I mean everything) made of metal corrodes. Ceiling fans, gutters, nails, stainless boat trim, etc etc all of it corrodes badly.
    Property tax sucks, I haven't compared it to the lake but it's steep, as is insurance.
    Hurricanes also suck, having to watch the news and wonder if you're going to have a house tomorrow is not fun, and then there's the inevitable cleanup after every storm. We've had to replace the dock 2x in the last 5 years.

But then there's the fact that you're at the beach so it mostly makes up for all that crap lol

To be honest I think it's really a 50/50 tossup on which you prefer lake vs beach.
    That’s good advice. We are headed up this weekend to check out some places and get a feel for areas we can be within our budget and still accessible to the every day stuff. I travel a good bit for work and largely my clients are in manufacturing, so need to be realistic about all that.

I’m not sure we would be beach front, but at least within a walking block to the beach if it were to come together. But beach front wouldn’t be out of the question. It’s probably just crazy covid life and frustrations at our local lakes and parks that are swaying us, but we always have a great time at the beach and are into surfing and all that. Maybe even just as a vacation/rental investment situation as well, or plans for down the road. We are definitely 50/50 on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty75 View Post
    I’m a lake guy, always been. Growing up we always had a family boat on Erie, and since I was in my early 20’s I’ve always had my own boat and spent countless hours on the water. Mostly into water sports, but we also do a lot of fishing up on Erie and occasional trip for big game fishing in Florida or Mexico. But never spent much time at the ocean until this summer and have really gotten into surfing and my wife really likes just cruising the beach with the dog. Just curious if it’s just a vacation kinda fun and would get boring after a few months, or if others have lived that life and found it enjoyable year round.

Not sure I’m ready to give up the Supra lake life just yet, but since beach houses have gotten more affordable than lake houses in our area, kinda tempting to throw in the hat, sell everything and cash out and get a small place at the beach lol. It doesn’t help that this summer was crazy at the lake and really in our area in general. Saw more Texas and Florida tags this year than sc tags.

Where did you live around Lake Erie?
    2018 Supra SL400

My thought is if you're not beachfront/waterfront you're enduring all the downsides without the upside, Just my opinion of course.
    Our place isn't beachfront it's on a tidal creek which I prefer, 5 minute boat ride to a private-ish beach (state park).
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Where did you live around Lake Erie?
    Near Buffalo. My family is still up there but my wife and I live down in SC. We have a family cottage on Hoover beach (more of a concrete break wall then beach these days lol) and fish out of Dunkirk marina. Love the area in the summer, but much prefer the south.

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    My thought is if you're not beachfront/waterfront you're enduring all the downsides without the upside, Just my opinion of course.
    Our place isn't beachfront it's on a tidal creek which I prefer, 5 minute boat ride to a private-ish beach (state park).
    That’s a great point. We have seen a few places that have nice ocean views and access directly across the street, but still not the same as stepping off the deck into the sand.

I would love to live by the ocean, but my financial situation does not allow it. Previously, in general, only poor fishermen lived on the shore, but now everything has changed dramatically.