Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2021 Mondo... anyone used it before?

So I'm new to the forum, and I'm a newb who could use some help.

My kids are getting older and it's time to invest in a new and better boat. I expect surfing will constitute about 50% of the use, maybe a little more. The rest will be split between slalom, Wakeboarding, and tubing.

My finalist list of choices includes the Moomba Mondo (seems like a great price for the number of features), Axis A20, and ATX Type-20. I'm curious if anyone has actually used the new Mondo before, and if so, is it throwing a good wave? I'm not extremely wealthy, so cost savings is a plus, but having a useful boat is more critical. My lake is only about 3.5mi long, so getting a bigger boat is sort of too much boat for the lake. Also, my dry dock only accommodates up to 21'.

I know Moomba cultivates a loyal following from their buyers, so any reasons why you think the Mondo might be the best option would certainly help guide me in my decision making. I know boat dealers are low-supply, high-demand outfits at the moment, so getting a great deal is hard. You kinda pay MSRP no matter what.

Again, any input is greatly appreciated!

my .02..... fwiw
    I've surfed the old hull mondo and it's a good boat for it's size. the longer hulls are going to surf better but it's a solid boat. wakeboarding and slalom, the shorter hull produces a great wake and flattens out well to slalom. it won't pull a tube at all tho

given the 3, one walk thru on an axis should be all you need to pass. seats are hard as crap and build quality is not near what moomba will offer. I have not been around an atx20 but shopped the 22 this summer and passed. atx has a better screen, better tower fold, easier surf/board setup in the screens and imo better surf tabs but the overall "feel" of the boat is not the same as a moomba.

as far as pricing, every dealer is different however most seem to see in the 6-8% off msrp range. you might score a slightly better deal on a dealer stock boat but new build seem to all fall in the same line.

if I were shopping in the 20ft value segment, mondo would be my first look.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I test drove both the 2021 Mondo and the Axis A20 in the last week and the wake is a lot bigger on the A20 and it also has a much longer sweet spot. The push on the A20 wake was nicer as well. If you add weight to the Mondo via lead than I am sure it can be as good as the A20 but it makes the boat too heavy for my existing hoist that I bought last year. I was expecting the Mondo surf wake to be more comparable since the stock ballast capacity is similar but the A20 had the better surf wake on the stock setup. I do agree that the fit and finish is much better on the Mondo and it has a ton of cool features (wireless charging, auotwake, 7 inch touch screen, G6 pump upgrade) that you can order on the boat that make it a great overall boat. I don't think you can go wrong on either boat but if the overall build quality and comfort is more important than the stock surf wake than get the Mondo. If you are all about the stock surf wake and don't want add any additional weight than the A20 might fit the bill. I do agree the A20 build is more modest but it is roomier especially in the pickle fork bow which my wife liked. Tough decision to be made. My final two are the Mondo and A20. Best of luck in your decision making process bc this decision is a tough one.

keep in mind that replacing the rear bags and adding ibs on the mondo should make a night and day difference and now you are comparing a much better wake to the axis. you can replace bags without adding lead and won't change the weight of the boat.

out of the box axis will have a much better wake but the mondo will shine with bigger bags and trying to drive a gated boat can be a good workout.

2021 Mondo for last 2 weeks.
    1st week spent properly breaking in engine.

Today, with 50lb lead in each side beneath the rear bags plus another 100lb in each locker over the trailer axles.
    so that's only 300lb lead.

Crew: 2 guys (1 of those the surfer) plus me (driver), small daughter.
    Voile... a monster wave IMO.
    its good, really good.
    IMG_4306.jpg
    Last edited by chinook; 09-24-2020 at 01:58 AM.
    2021 Mondo
    2017 Mondo

we can surf our mondo with 3000 lbs of ballast (lead and water). Thats with only a couple of adults on the boat. Now, it took a bit to figure it out, but once i got the settings my over 200lb self can surf it without a rope at any time. The wave isn't as good as a 24 MXZ but it shouldn't be. the mondo is half the cost.
    2019 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    keep in mind that replacing the rear bags and adding ibs on the mondo should make a night and day difference and now you are comparing a much better wake to the axis. you can replace bags without adding lead and won't change the weight of the boat.

out of the box axis will have a much better wake but the mondo will shine with bigger bags and trying to drive a gated boat can be a good workout.
    The 2021 Mondo has 3700 lbs. of stock ballast so there is no need to replace or add larger bags in the stern lockers. The existing bags fill up the majority of the rear compartments and extend under the rear seats on each side as well. The front under seat area gets filled up completely as well with the bow sack. I guess you could add some water weight to the storage areas between the driver/passenger snd the front bow area but you would lose most of the limited storage at that point.

The only way to add weight will be with lead IMO, I didn't see any other spot to add water unless you are on top of the seats which my wife isn't a big fan of. Obviously people and a full gas tank help as well.

I am just sharing my experience. The Mondo is 4000 lbs. dry weight and my lift supports 4500 lbs. at least in the rating so I am already pushing the weight limit. Adding lead and keeping it on the boat which is than on the hoist isn't the best option. Most people won't have this problem but I do so I have to figure out what is best for me. The 2021 Mondo is an amazing boat and the fit and finish of the overall boat is best in class IMO.
    Last edited by watsoc08; 09-24-2020 at 11:35 AM.

sounds like a new lift is in order

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    sounds like a new lift is in order
    I wish, I just bought this one last year after multiple failures on my previous under weighted lift (2000 Super Air Nautique is my current ride) and they aren't cheap. The larger lifts cost about 1/4 of what these boats cost so to pull both purchases in a single year is a little much. I get your humor though and wish a new hoist was in the cards. New wake boats are so much heavier now days so it makes the hoist cost out of control to try to keep up.

Water ballast is my friend because I can leave it in the lake once I am done surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by chinook View Post
    2021 Mondo for last 2 weeks.
    1st week spent properly breaking in engine.

Today, with 50lb lead in each side beneath the rear bags plus another 100lb in each locker over the trailer axles.
    so that's only 300lb lead.

Crew: 2 guys (1 of those the surfer) plus me (driver), small daughter.
    Voile... a monster wave IMO.
    its good, really good.
    IMG_4306.jpg
    This is great. A picture tells a thousand words. Thank you for the information!