Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gas Tank Removal

2014 Mojo, I'm trying to remove my gas tank to access my center ballast tank, which I'm 99% has a leak. I'm having trouble with 2 of the brackets holding the tank in place, see red arrows in the picture. I've unscrewed those brackets from the gas tank, but they don't seem to want to move. Should they be completely removable?

gas_tank.jpg
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by ghebert1111 View Post
    2014 Mojo, I'm trying to remove my gas tank to access my center ballast tank, which I'm 99% has a leak. I'm having trouble with 2 of the brackets holding the tank in place, see red arrows in the picture. I've unscrewed those brackets from the gas tank, but they don't seem to want to move. Should they be completely removable?

gas_tank.jpg
    I bent them out of the way on my Craz, it's hard to tell from the pic but I think the brackets are screwed into the hull before the top hull is attached so there's no way to remove them.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the input.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

If you can and have access, maybe try filling the ballast with water colored with food coloring. Test your theory before completely tearing it apart...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    If you can and have access, maybe try filling the ballast with water colored with food coloring. Test your theory before completely tearing it apart...
    Yeah that is what I was thinking. I've got the Gas tank out and realized I have the same lip issue as in the link below. So while I was confident that my leak is in the center ballast I decided to confirm it 100%. I cleaned out the bilge and filled up the center ballast tank and will let is sit over night and see what happens. If it is not leaking I'm at a loss as when ever we surf I see the bilge come on repeatedly and it doesn't seem to be the rear ballast bags that are leaking. When we rap up a surf session, I have water up to the top of the center drain plug.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ast-Tank/page8
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I've got the Gas tank out and realized I have the same lip issue as in the link below. So while I was confident that my leak is in the center ballast I decided to confirm it 100%. I cleaned out the bilge and filled up the center ballast tank and will let is sit over night and see what happens. If it is not leaking I'm at a loss as when ever we surf I see the bilge come on repeatedly and it doesn't seem to be the rear ballast bags that are leaking. When we rap up a surf session, I have water up to the top of the center drain plug.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ast-Tank/page8
    Please update on what you find. My 2020 Mojo also has a mystery leak that neither dealer or myself can track down. Bilge comes on every time we slow down to return to the fallen rider.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

Did you check the shaft seal, they leak more over time. My bilge is on every 5-10 minutes before I replaced it. You can test it only with a water test and watching it.

So my initial testing is I have no leak in the center tank.

Here is that I have done. Boat is on trailer and at home for the winter, BTW.
    I disconnected my IBS and put the fill line that was connected to the IBS into a five gallon bucket. I then used my fake-a-lake to fill the center tank until water started coming out of the fill line in the 5 gallon bucket, so I am relatively sure that the center tank is full. =I left the boat in this condition overnight and there was no water in the bilge after 18 hours. My next test and what I should have done in the first place, is to put the IBS back in and fill the center tanks and IBS and see if I get any leak, maybe water is flowing from the IBS into the center tank and making the water level reach a leak in the top of the center tank, hell I don't know. Wont' be able to do this til the weekend.

Regarding the shaft leak or any other leak not related to ballast. I've ruled that out because whenever we go out without ballast, I check the bilge and there is no water in the bilge. As I typed that I just thought, maybe with the ballast full and the boat lower in the water there is a leak somewhere I hadn't thought of.

Update coming.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

So my initial testing is I have no leak in the center tank.

Here is that I have done. Boat is on trailer and at home for the winter, BTW.
    I disconnected my IBS and put the fill line that was connected to the IBS into a five gallon bucket. I then used my fake-a-lake to fill the center tank until water started coming out of the fill line in the 5 gallon bucket, so I am relatively sure that the center tank is full. =I left the boat in this condition overnight and there was no water in the bilge after 18 hours. My next test and what I should have done in the first place, is to put the IBS back in and fill the center tanks and IBS and see if I get any leak, maybe water is flowing from the IBS into the center tank and making the water level reach a leak in the top of the center tank, hell I don't know. Wont' be able to do this til the weekend.

Regarding the shaft leak or any other leak not related to ballast. I've ruled that out because whenever we go out without ballast, I check the bilge and there is no water in the bilge. As I typed that I just thought, maybe with the ballast full and the boat lower in the water there is a leak somewhere I hadn't thought of.

Update coming.
    Try filling the bilge with water and see if it comes out, also fill the center and bow and raise the bow to see if it drains.

I was able to get the IBS in the boat and filled using a fake-a-lake. It's been sitting for an hour and I've noticed 2 things:
    1. The ballast intake(under the boat) is and continues to leak water in pretty large amounts, it is keeping my driveway wet and it is sunny and 68 out. Is this a bad impeller in my ballast pump? What else can cause this?
    2. Water is filling the bilge and it seems to be coming from the center tank/IBS. It isn't leaking at the rate it would need to, to fill my bilge to what I'm seeing after a couple of hours surfing, but it is definitely leaking.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo