Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2021 Moomba Kaiyen or 2020 Tige 21zx

Hello all. Looking at buying our very first family boat. Looking a lot and have it down to two boats Moomba Kaiyen or Tige 21ZX? The Tige dealer has been great and has the boat on site. The Tige has 40 hours on it and is way nicer inside and out. The Moomba seems nice but haven’t been in one yet. Local dealer hasn’t been great and has no inventory ( maybe that’s why). The Moomba is a little bit cheaper. Which one will surf better? How big of a deal is liking the colors inside and out? Any thoughts on the Tige? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

How much is ‘a little cheaper’? I think liking the colors is a big deal. If I was spending the money I would pick the boat that checks all my boxes, I would not settle for one that does not feel 100%

Thanks

It’s about 12k cheaper. I could live with the color scheme on the Moomba but it’s just basic. I would be building the Moomba and picking all the colors. What I’ve found is that at my price range I can’t check all the boxes. The surf wave is most important but impossible to go out on the Moomba because they have none and it’s getting difficult on the Tige because it getting colder here.

Forgot to mention the Tige also has the 440 engine and I live at almost 6000’.

They aren't really comparable boats, the tige zx line is the flagship for tige, the Moomba will feel overall cheaper and less refined.

I came from tige and they have more kinks to work out on new boats than they should IMO so I went with a supra.

I'm a little confused, as it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison imo.
    2020 Supra SA

they are quite different boats. The Tige has 40 hours and that why the price is close. Would love to go with a Supra but they are way out of my price range. The Moomba and ATX are about the same price. I guess my question is for the extra money is it just a nicer boat with about the same wave or am I also getting a nicer wave?

We looked at the ATX line of boat- They are very nice. Almost ordered the ATX20, but decided I wanted something bigger (for same price) and so we ordered a Max.

An ATX22 might be a good option- nicely equipped for close to $80k.

Overall, I think the Tige and ATX design looks better than all the Moomba’s, but can’t beat the value and reliability of the Moomba.

moomba and atx are along the same lines. given that choice moomba all day. atx has some work to do to be at the same level of supreme/moomba/mb. atx will have a better surf wave out of the box than any of them but with some additional ballast the rest will shine.

any of the new boats are going to put out a great surf wave. there will be differences in the kaiyen and 21zx but unless you are a pro level surfer either boat are going to give you years of family memories to enjoy. focus on the dealership, overall options that make sense to your family and the color/looks of each one. the surf wave in one over the other might be 6" taller or 1ft longer but in the end, you'll still enjoy many sessions on either and both companies have sold hundreds of each with families enjoying them.

you're asking on a moomba forum so results are skewed just like asking this same question on TO.
    either way post up what you buy.......
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by RidePC View Post
    Thanks

It’s about 12k cheaper. I could live with the color scheme on the Moomba but it’s just basic. I would be building the Moomba and picking all the colors. What I’ve found is that at my price range I can’t check all the boxes. The surf wave is most important but impossible to go out on the Moomba because they have none and it’s getting difficult on the Tige because it getting colder here.

Forgot to mention the Tige also has the 440 engine and I live at almost 6000’.
    The engine upgrade itself is about 5K retail......

I love the Moomba but considering you're getting a premium line boat (with its associated resale) and an engine upgrade, it would be hard to say no to the Tige. Now, if you didn't like the colors at all, go with the Moomba. Getting a deal on a boat you're not passionate and proud to own, is never a deal.

Thanks all for the input. The Tige We actually like the colors better on even though we didn’t pick them. Moomba has a very simple look that we don’t love. It’s just I don’t know much about Tige. Where we live in PC everything is Nautique, Supra and Malibu in that order. Around here the ATX and the Moomba are still over 100k out the door. Not much room for negotiation because they can’t keep any inventory. All these first world problems. Excited to get the family on the water a ton next summer.
    Thanks again for all the feed back. This forum is the best.

It’s not too late to test drive boats. If you haven’t already tested the tige have them take it to Willard. We were there yesterday water was 63. Still surfable with or without a wetsuit. We will likely be there again on Tuesday.
    One thing I have learned is don’t buy a boat you haven’t tested. And like others have said don’t buy what you don’t just love. If you’re new to wake boats you will soon find out that $100k does not mean perfection. Both of these boats will bring smiles and disappoint. With the tige already having 40 hours on it it will likely have most of the kinks worked out. That means you can jump right into next season running. If you build there is a good chance your brand new boat will be back at the dealer for repairs. This goes for any brand.
    Don’t get too caught up in the high(er) dollar boat brands. Any newish boat is going to give you a great family wave. So are you looking for a great wave for the value or looking for looks?