Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default A VERY bad day on the lake!

Is anyone familiar with the Supra automatic fire suppression?

I think newer master crafts come standard with fire suppression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

The auto fire suppression is a 2.7% take rate for Supras, some lakes and or countries require them.

That’s about 10-12 boats per year.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    The auto fire suppression is a 2.7% take rate for Supras, some lakes and or countries require them.

That’s about 10-12 boats per year.

I'm sure because the percentage of boats that actually need them is, thankfully, far less. I imagine the Moomba take rate is even less. I think it will require government regulation to get them in boats. Too many other options to spend your money on for most boaters. I think the the manufacturers should step up and make them standard, it would be good marketing to claim to be the "only brand that that doesn't make safety optional" or something to that effect. It's just a fire loop attached to a bottle, I don't think it would cost much at all.

The other thing is, with the rise in surfing popularity, many of the boat owners who traditionally stayed at the helm and knew more about their boat and it's safety features now find themselves in the water, with a less experienced "co-captain" at the controls. I think the auto fire suppression is a great idea, BUT...that being said..as someone on a pretty tight budget...I'm not sure I would order one. I don't know why I just typed that...I know I wouldn't order it.
    Last edited by Guppydriver; 10-15-2020 at 06:27 PM.

If they were standard the MSRP would reflect it, so the option makes more sense to me.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I checked that box on the Max. Auto extinguisher in the motor compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    I checked that box on the Max. Auto extinguisher in the motor compartment.

Can you snap a couple pics of the system, I would like to see it before I check the box

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Get a separate module. Integrate into the display would have been best..

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/xing-1b...All%20Products
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

in a bad fire or explosion that supression system is not going to do any good to extingush the fire but it might buy you additional time to vacate the boat. imo it's a feature that someone grabbed from the yacht/go fast industry and if they get 10% of the owners to invest in, it's likely putting another 5-8k in skiers choice pockets so someone got employee of the month for suggesting the add....

house odds would favor that $700ish being money you will never see back at resale time and IF there is a fire that it saves, you are now left with a salvage boat to argue with insurance over vs a total and a new boat being ordered.

I know it's safety and you can't put a price on life or limb but as guppy mentioned, if it was common, just like surfpipes, our nanny state would have already passed legislation and Larry's msrp would be $1800 more..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Automatic fire suppression system is $570 MSRP, so with discount about $450.

Aftermarket manual systems are $400+ just for parts.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    in a bad fire or explosion that supression system is not going to do any good to extingush the fire but it might buy you additional time to vacate the boat. imo it's a feature that someone grabbed from the yacht/go fast industry and if they get 10% of the owners to invest in, it's likely putting another 5-8k in skiers choice pockets so someone got employee of the month for suggesting the add....

house odds would favor that $700ish being money you will never see back at resale time and IF there is a fire that it saves, you are now left with a salvage boat to argue with insurance over vs a total and a new boat being ordered.

I know it's safety and you can't put a price on life or limb but as guppy mentioned, if it was common, just like surfpipes, our nanny state would have already passed legislation and Larry's msrp would be $1800 more..
    Pretty dramatic assessment of a system that could help you survive a fire, maybe save your boat in a minor situation, enable you to grab life vests for all passengers before bailing....and costs a few hundred bucks.

I could not give a rat’s ass about recouping my fire extinguisher cost on resale. Or my electric trailer brakes cost for that matter, another item that makes towing just a bit safer. These are personal choices to add some safety.

But I am a crazy one, I also get the good fire and smoke detectors for my house, and have multiple CO detectors. Probably not gonna recoup those costs when I sell my house.