Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First Time Winterizing a Moomba

Hello all. This is the first time I have winterized a Moomba and the Jabsco Ballasts. I think I am done, but of course I always double think things and occasionally doubt myself. First off.....my boat will be in my shop all winter, and it gets maybe at the lowest point 32 when not heated. I have never in the past had anything in the shop....including water bottle freeze or slush. This is what I have done according to the manuals, and contacting Indmar support.

1. Fuel Stabilizer (marine) in tank and run at operating temp for 15 min
    2. All blue engine plugs and drive plug taken off and left off in plastic bag
    3. Blown out all points with compressor (per Indmar tech suggestion)
    4. Sea Strainer blue cap opened and blown out as well.....no water in clear tube
    5. All plugs left open and loose ones stored.
    6. Pulled all 8 plugs....fogged for 2-3 seconds and cranked engine 2 times.
    7. Put old plugs back in, but not all the way.....I will replace in the spring $$$ for right now, but wanted holes covered
    8. Took out impeller and gasket and stored in plastic bag
    9. Again, blew out all tubes, blue access points and impeller in hose and out hose.
    10. Seems to be no more water in the lines.
    11. Check anti-freeze level and tested the cold temp level and ts ok well below 32 degrees

Ballast:

1. Took all plates off pumps and rubber o-rings and stored in plastic bags
    2. Took out all impellers and stored in plastic bags
    3. Removed all ballast bags and emptied and left to dry (except center bag)
    4. Blew out all "in pump lines" and "out pump lines "
    5. Blew out all exterior port holes with the exception of the ones with relief valves

Stored everything in plastic bags after they dried.....nothing laying on each other to create flaws in rubber, seals, or gaskets

Left front center cushion off and center access hole off to let the hull vent and hopefully dry out center ballast bag

Thats all that I have done. I believe I am remembering everything

Only question is the batteries. I have the maintainer battery hook up and I didn't know if I should plug it in for the whole winter? Plug it in on and off? or disconnect both batteries, pull and charge on and off over the winter?

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time with this boat and a raptor.

Thanks again
    D
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

After the last warmup, some will change the oil before putting it way.

Per #6, Pulled all 8 plugs....fogged for 2-3 seconds and cranked engine 2 times - some will say this is not necessary. I know Indmar does not recommend fogging down the throttle body with oil as it could cause damage to the Cats, but fogging via the spark plugs is OK.

I also keep mine in a shop. I do not keep the power to the charge plugged in all the time. Maybe 1x per month I will plug it in an leave it for a few days. I have not seen any power draws to really lower the volts. I even checked them with a multi-meter before plugging back into the charger.

After pulling plugs and reinstalling, some will put the pink antifreeze thru the exhaust via the strainer. Sounds like your shop will keep the boat fine.

I hope to get out to the The Boat this winter . . . . it's been 2-3 years now.
    2018 Supra SL400

man, do not miss all the added crap to do in a cold climate. we change the oil and cover it up. nothing else

we follow mjh's battery advice. we installed a prosport charger before the boat had its second hour on it and just plug that in off and on thruout the winter. no need to unhook them. if you don't have one, best $125 you can spend on a boat imo.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default First Time Winterizing a Moomba

The raptors are so easy to winterize.

Most dealers up here just pump 5-6 gallons on marine antifreeze through them, takes 5 min.

Full drain ballast, fuel stabilizer, oil change in fall or spring depending on my mood....

I just pull the blue plugs and crossover hose and let it drain, then put them back in, done.

Even if I was in a warm climate, I would still probably pull the blue plugs, just wouldn’t want lake water sitting in the cooling loop for months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    After pulling plugs and reinstalling, some will put the pink antifreeze thru the exhaust via the strainer. Sounds like your shop will keep the boat fine.
    Blue plugs, not spark plugs. Ha Ha. Cannot edit the orig post.
    2018 Supra SL400

wow you really went all out. My dealer doesn't even do all this.. just drains the water, ballast bags, stabilizer and oil/impeller change.

for your battery, just make sure your main switch is off and charge your batteries once per month for 24 hours or until fully charged. Batteries don't discharge fast in cold weather like they do in warm weather. A fully charged battery won't freeze. Batteries actually prefer cool over warm.
    2019 Mondo

I will add, I just put the new impeller in so don't forget it, could easily forget in the spring to put it back. Maybe tie the impeller to the steering wheel. If you forget, it's an engine rebuild...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

Well....I think I might have gone overboard, but thank you for all the feedback....surely makes me feel better that my investment will survive....haha

One. of those things that just makes me nervous....its not 150k, but 70k to me is worth a double take in protection!

Thanks again!
    D
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    Well....I think I might have gone overboard, but thank you for all the feedback....surely makes me feel better that my investment will survive....haha

One. of those things that just makes me nervous....its not 150k, but 70k to me is worth a double take in protection!

Thanks again!
    D
    Can't go overboard. You will be fine. If you sleep better at night by doing more, then all the power to you.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    After the last warmup, some will change the oil before putting it way.

Per #6, Pulled all 8 plugs....fogged for 2-3 seconds and cranked engine 2 times - some will say this is not necessary. I know Indmar does not recommend fogging down the throttle body with oil as it could cause damage to the Cats, but fogging via the spark plugs is OK.

I also keep mine in a shop. I do not keep the power to the charge plugged in all the time. Maybe 1x per month I will plug it in an leave it for a few days. I have not seen any power draws to really lower the volts. I even checked them with a multi-meter before plugging back into the charger.

I hope to get out to the The Boat this winter . . . . it's been 2-3 years now.

Hope we get some snow!!! I don't remember what rain looks like and things are burning up. Of course that can all change over night.....but I sure would love to see some moisture. The Boat always welcomes you!
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO