Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Surfing

Default Night Surfing

I have been reading about this and discussing it with a coworker who has done it extensively on his lake. The benefits being, 1) lake is much calmer at night, so you’re getting a better wave, 2) the grandparents can put the kids to bed and the adults can surf.

For Canada specifically, it looks like there were federal laws that prohibited this, (as well as not having a spotter in the boat), but both laws were repealed in December 2018. This repeal was done at the federal level and so there may be fines (but not criminal charges) imposed at the provincial level but I don’t know that for sure.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...-20030101.html

Searching this forum brings back some hits in 2011-2013 but nothing really recent and so I’m wondering if there is a following, and what your experience is like? Do you need a tower light bar facing back towards the surfer? Could you get away with only using lights mounted under the swim platform? Any other do this/don’t do this recommendations?
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Sounds dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

It’s not legal here in US in any state. I wish it was legal but it’s not. I’ve heard of using a really good set of underwater LED transom lights work well. I have LED tower lights that work great, I’ve only surfed just past sunset and quit because I didn’t want anyone to get a ticket. Probably a good idea to put a light or glow stick on your surfer as well.

Default Night Surfing

Wasn’t the guy from shark tank In an after dark wakeboat accident in Canada last year?

His wife drove their 24MXZ over another boat bow killing a couple people?

Kevin O’Leary?

Last edited by larry_arizona; 09-30-2020 at 11:02 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Wasn’t the guy from shark tank In an after dark wakeboat accident in Canada last year?

His wife drove their 24MXZ over another boat bow killing a couple people?

Kevin O’Leary?
    Looks like that accident involved Kevin's slightly drunk wife driving their Cobalt (not a wakeboat) into a pontoon boat that was out stargazing and didn't have it's nav lights on.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Default Night Surfing

Ahhhh ok, the O’Learys also have a Bu MXZ24.

The point is, boating above no wake speed at night is not the best idea. How would you see in front of you?

Bow docking lights are not exactly headlights.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 09-30-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

as turbine mentioned its illegal in the lower 48.
    no way I'd try it as cool as it sounds. boating on mead and reading the facebook page for it, there's drunks on the water every day not to mention an armada of go fasts out every day. all it takes is one of them coming back at 60+ using gps to navigate and not paying attention.

happened a few years back on havasu in the daylight and night makes it that much worse.

all that said, to each their own. know the risks.....

it's a misdemeanor and up here in nevada for almost all boating related offenses($315 ticket and mist. on my record for having a guy sitting on the back of my boat last year while surfing) and at night, you're easy prey for the leo's.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

At dive rescue, we used the yellow cyclumes attached to the back of the PFD with a tie wrap. They are one use disposable and aid in locating the boarder in the water.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

if you are doing it, be careful and spot lights pointing back on the tower are a good idea....i run a combo of underwater that are 2 x 6000 lumens but 2 x LED(4 bulb each) lights.

The major hazards are:

1) Surfer down(glowsticks or something of the sort)
    2) Debris in the water
    3) Other boats that aren't paying attention at night

My preference is actually dusk as it is just getting dark....and finish up before it is dark. The Tower LEDs work well to add additional light to wave for surfer at dusk.
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

For a calmer lake, that is dawn patrol for me. And when we get up that early we wakeboard.

I would try it, it would be fun at first, but I would not be setting up my boat for it.

There are some people on social media posting pics of the boards and ropes with lights - looks very disco.

I think transom lights would work in early dusk, but would not work too well in full darkness. I've seen pics were people run transom lights and you cannot see them when they are in the back of the wave - only their glow sticks. Running some type of light off the tower appears that could blind the surfer looking forward if it was too bright.

Looking forward to drive, I have a hard enough time using my spot-light to see where I'm going in the dark. Stresses me out as the driver. Moon works sometimes, but not always.

I thought in the PNW you can legally run 1 hour after sunset.
    2018 Supra SL400