Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Impeller finally gave up a rib

Well after 9 years my impeller finally gave up a rib. While there were no cooling issues, on winterizing , I found a rib that was caught by my tranny cooler. I had to find when I shot my 8 minute impeller replacement video that was back in 2011. While this is too long and I do not advocate it, I will take pics when I change it in the spring or later this fall. It also had no problems sucking antifreeze from a bucket during winterization.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Nine years, you must have had you eye set on the world record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

One turned into two, then three, four, etc. Since I watch the temp gauge like a hawk and perform engine active impeller performance tests, I saw no reason to change it until this last weekend. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

2-3 years is the best I could do. Always checked at winterization and have a spare on board.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I'm with zabooda, 2-3 years and i start getting uneasy. 9 yrs could be some kind of record for sure!
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I have a spare plus 2 new ones. I was religious doing it every year on my DD. The V drive impeller change is a little more time consuming ( 8 minutes as I did a video last time I changed it) so after the 2nd change I decided to pull all hoses around the pump And tranny cooler plus suck up antifreeze after block draining. I definitely do not recommend this length of time by no means and would prob have let it go another year if not finding the rib. I have a strainer and run is clear freshwater with very little debris accumulating in the strainer by the end of the season.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

Run 'er till she gets hot, then investigate. I've got a spare thermostat and spare impeller now. Mine was actually running cold earlier this year - holding around 130. Kept an eye on it and whatever was stuck (thermostat I'm guessing) must have flushed through. I checked and I'm at year 6 for the impeller and year 7 on the thermostat. Catching up with you Doc.

However we've only been averaging 25 hours (low) to 40 hours (high) per year. I'm curious what you do.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

that is good to hear, the fear mongering of yearly changes had me worried and feeling guilty when I did it every 2, like the rest of you, I keep a spare, usually the one that was replaced by the new one.....now what about other parts..ie spark plugs, fuel filter etc ??
    2008 Moomba LSV, Gravity III, 1100 port.750 in goofy side rear,400 center,650 IBS everything else stock.....Home lake... Glennifer Lake, Alberta Canada...

Omg........I hate to admit it but my plugs are The original.......I have new ones , for about 5 years now.....but , the engine starts right up and has never missed a beat in 11 years. I must say , I pull the plugs every fall and inspect them to check for abnormalities..........
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

Run the plugs until you get a misfire warning

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315