Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New fiberglass surf platform

I’m building a surf platform for my 06 Supra. The Supra group is kind of dead on older boats. I figured I would post some pics here, this site has way more activity.

A little about me, I owned a custom jet ski hull company for 5 years, designed and manufactured freestyle stand up jet ski hulls. Fiberglass and carbon fiber. I haven’t played with composites for a few years, I’m excited to be creating again.

I went for the look and shape of the newer platforms but put my own twist on it. I have built in risers on the bottom, the platform is two pieces that slip fit together and get glued and urethane foam filled. They also have 1” HDPE plastic bonded inside where the brackets screw in. Overall it’s just shy of 5 feet wide and 2’ long. I left the bracket mount risers a little wide to accommodate for variances in bracket placement on different models. Supra and Moomba should fit each other? (I need measurements to confirm)

Top half prototype before the mold was lifted:

Top half mold, I’m making a new one as I had some gelcoat issues with this one.

Bottom half prototype prior to mold being lifted

Bottom half mold before final polish job

The lower half is 1/4” smaller all around the perimeter than the top. It will slip fit into the top half and be permanently bonded. Also these will be foam filled with closed cell marine urethane foam for extra strength. I can’t wait to see the final product myself. Smooth bottom, narrower, tapered angle and raised up, this will stay well out of my wave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brian216; 09-21-2020 at 08:52 PM.

interested to watch this. there's a market for this if you put it out there. have seen 3 or 4 posts this year from guys with older boats that have lost or broken swim platforms looking for new ones. bet you could create a univeral mold that could churn out a platform that would fit most boats if they are reusable.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Tagged, love to see how this project goes. Cool ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    interested to watch this. there's a market for this if you put it out there. have seen 3 or 4 posts this year from guys with older boats that have lost or broken swim platforms looking for new ones. bet you could create a univeral mold that could churn out a platform that would fit most boats if they are reusable.
    That was my whole intention. With these molds I made can produce a large number of pieces as long as they aren’t abused and properly waxed and prepped between each use. I’m just curious to see how many boats they will fit. One of these is going to Bryan at surf mode for testing. Once I have a finished product I’ll be launching a business page. I’d like to stick to Supra and Moomba only, but there is a guy at my lake with a centurion that wants one too. So we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Branden967 View Post
    Tagged, love to see how this project goes. Cool ideas.
    Thanks!

I know a few tige guys have been looking. the variables would be width of boat and width of brackets. beyond that the actual shape of the platform and depth are not that big of a deal.
    if you made the bottom pieces large enough where the brackets need to bolt to as a universal fit and kept the width at 96" vs most boats today are 102, that would leave you a "generic" template that you could sell and others could then mount the brackets to fit their transom. spacing it back an extra inch for any curvature in the transom depending on your platform curve.

great idea and betting you will sell a dozen or so a year.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I know a few tige guys have been looking. the variables would be width of boat and width of brackets. beyond that the actual shape of the platform and depth are not that big of a deal.
    if you made the bottom pieces large enough where the brackets need to bolt to as a universal fit and kept the width at 96" vs most boats today are 102, that would leave you a "generic" template that you could sell and others could then mount the brackets to fit their transom. spacing it back an extra inch for any curvature in the transom depending on your platform curve.

great idea and betting you will sell a dozen or so a year.
    That seems a bit wide. This one is only 59” at the widest point.

Great Idea. I'd be interested in the final cost of something like this. I have a 2002 outback lsv and have always considered doing something like this myself. I know a surf platform would make a huge difference on my surf wave. I am gonna stay tuned on this project for sure. Great job man.
    2002 LSV

Not to derail this because I already love the idea....but would it be possible to put a pocket in for a fold out ladder? The wife’s always wanted a ladder and I’ve never entertained the idea because of drag, mounting issues and the possibility of it messing up the wave. Just a thought...

First one out. Un trimmed and needs the green mold release washed off but I’m pretty happy! As far as a ladder, I have seen them where they mount under the platform and fold up under it. That could be possible. Final cost? 1300 to 1500 would be my guess.