Default Boat Survey, yes/no

For those of you who bought a used boat from a dealer l, did you get an independent survey on it?
    The boat I'm buying has low hours but I'm wondering if it should be checked for potential previous repairs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most banks require a marine survey on used boats if its expensive enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Is $120k expensive enough?

May just depend on the bank. About 5 years ago I bought a Sea Ray cruiser...about 8 years old at the time and I felt confident enough in my ability to evaluate the boat. The bank did not require it and I thought the $800 Survey would be a waste of money. I had 5 happy years on the boat, way more than doubled the hours and just recently sold it in this hot boat market for $2,500 more than I paid for it back then. New owner did have a survey done (now 13 years old) and it passed with flying colors.

Some may say survey is a must.....some may even say it’s cheap insurance. I think it depends on a number of things - age, hours, overall appearance and your ability to know what to look for. If it’s at a dealer you may even ask the service department for their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by svienb View Post
    Is $120k expensive enough?

I would say yes, I sold my 2018 SA and bank required marine survey, guy was thorough using fancy moisture meters and tapping on the hull for an hour, trying every possible switch and button etc.

All said, he said in his 17 years of surveying boats, this was the cleanest boat he had surveyed. He prides himself on marking something down and he did mark one point off for a loose zip tie on the blower motor bellows.

I reached down and tightened the zip tie two clicks.

He was impressed with Supra build quality. It was his first Supra, but he has done many surf boats.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Thanks for information.
    When i saw the 'sold as is' statement on the invoice I started to get apprehensive.
    I know this is not the car industry but if I buy a CPO car it gives you piece of mind.
    I've also just got told I now have to pay $1195 to transfer the boat and engine warranty, is that the going rate?
    I'm a little bummed on the whole experience, i keep reading about a good relationship with the dealer, but my experience to date, working with 4 major dealers feels like this industry is stuck in the last century. Zero transparency, shady stories, high pressure sales practices.
    As newbie to boating, I'll pay for piece of mind, they just need to be honest.

Default Boat Survey, yes/no

Buying boats is actually quite different than cars in my opinion.

The Skier’s Choice warranty transfer is kinda BS, it’s a money grab in my opinion. $1200 right in the wheel house for the boat warranty and the separate Indmar drivetrain warranty.

Plus you can only transfer it from original owner, if you are the third owner, you are SOL.

The big difference is Supras are such a limited build boat. Low volume equals high competition for demand. If you want it, dealers kinda have the upper hand and you may get a take it or leave it attitude or vibe, versus a luxury car dealer that will kiss your a$$ the whole way.

Back to the marine survey, banks need to protect their best interests on high dollar loans.

Just wait until you try and get the title transfer at Secretary of State or your DMV. I know when I sold my boat in August, Michigan Secretary of State could not transfer title until December. You need an appointment and due to covid they are booked solid for months.

355% increase in boat loans in 2020 over 2019.

My dealer is completely sold out of 2021 Supras and are taking deposits for 2022’s.

Crazy time to buy a boat and I consider my timing fortunate. Sold in August, Deposit in
    Sept, build slot in December, Delivery in April.

I imagine the case if I had delayed my deposit I would be boatless for the 2021 season.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 09-19-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I would bet that larrys example of a true marine inspection from a bank is rare.
    last boat we sold guys bank did a "marine survey" and was nothing more than a guy coming out to verify boat existed, wasn't in pieces and hin's matched loan. he was in his 70's and couldn't get into the boat. GF had to take the inside pic for him.

my bank has not ever required one and this one was a joke from a guy that drives around taking insurance pics.

if they are indeed scheduling or requiring an inspection/survey, make sure you know what you are actually going to get.

titling is another issue. nevada dnr has 90 days "amnesty" to register so you get 90 days without stickers IF you carry bill of sale with you. dmv here is same thing. carry bill of sale and my boat I bought in july has an october 19 appt at dmv for plates. there are sooooo many cars driving around here without plates that cops don't even give it a second look. ymmv as always but no one here cares...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I would bet that larrys example of a true marine inspection from a bank is rare.
    last boat we sold guys bank did a "marine survey" and was nothing more than a guy coming out to verify boat existed, wasn't in pieces and hin's matched loan. he was in his 70's and couldn't get into the boat. GF had to take the inside pic for him.

my bank has not ever required one and this one was a joke from a guy that drives around taking insurance pics.

if they are indeed scheduling or requiring an inspection/survey, make sure you know what you are actually going to get.

titling is another issue. nevada dnr has 90 days "amnesty" to register so you get 90 days without stickers IF you carry bill of sale with you. dmv here is same thing. carry bill of sale and my boat I bought in july has an october 19 appt at dmv for plates. there are sooooo many cars driving around here without plates that cops don't even give it a second look. ymmv as always but no one here cares...
    Our loan provider does not require an inspection and the finance lady at the dealership said it's rare.