Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Winterizing Ballast Pumps

A few optionsI have seen out there, but I thought I would ask. low 40's and mid to low 30's at night here now and time to winterize.

What the best way to winterize the Jabsco pumps?

thanks

D
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    A few optionsI have seen out there, but I thought I would ask. low 40's and mid to low 30's at night here now and time to winterize.

What the best way to winterize the Jabsco pumps?

thanks

D
    Completely drain the ballast system and then suck antifreeze up into the pumps themselves and you should be covered. The antifreeze is for peace of mind. I have simply run my Jabsco system dry and never had an issue with my pumps but since you are in Steamboat and have really cold winters it is probably best to use antifreeeze in the Jabsco pumps.

Do you have easy access to your pumps? If so, another option is to remove the impellers and put them in a plastic bag with some grease. You can leave the covers off too.

I did that on my last Supra each winter - impeller, screws, brass cover, and rubber gasket all went into a zip-lock bag.
    2018 Supra SL400

thanks all for the options......rears are accessible very easy, but the mid ship are in the center drain compartment and sort of seem like pain to get to. Maybe I do the rear impellers and just anti in the mid ship.

Do you all drain the anitfreeze so its coated, or leave in? If I remember right on my old Nautique I left it in places.
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    thanks all for the options......rears are accessible very easy, but the mid ship are in the center drain compartment and sort of seem like pain to get to. Maybe I do the rear impellers and just anti in the mid ship.

Do you all drain the anitfreeze so its coated, or leave in? If I remember right on my old Nautique I left it in places.
    You leave the antifreeze in the pump. It shouldn't take very much since you just want it into the pump housing itself.

Quote Originally Posted by watsoc08 View Post
    You leave the antifreeze in the pump. It shouldn't take very much since you just want it into the pump housing itself.

Thank you!
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

I also pour a little anti freeze down the drain lines exit holes just to make sure it mixes with any water that may be in a bend I cant see.

Quote Originally Posted by Branden967 View Post
    I also pour a little anti freeze down the drain lines exit holes just to make sure it mixes with any water that may be in a bend I cant see.
    are you talking about the exit holes on the side of the boat? my boat drains from underneath. you talking about the overflow i believe
    2019 Mondo

In the past, I left the pink antifreeze in my pumps and each spring my impellers seemed like they were worn out. The pumps would be super slow in the spring to the point where they would trip and turn off as if they were running dry. When that happens, I replace the impeller and the pumps are fast and have no issues. Each year it seemed the impellers were fine in the fall and bad in the spring so now I'm thinking the pink antifreeze hurts the impellers somehow. I may simply drain the system and try it without antifreeze this year.
    2020 Supra SE 450

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    are you talking about the exit holes on the side of the boat? my boat drains from underneath. you talking about the overflow i believe
    Sorry my boats older and mine drain out the side of the boat. I live in a high altitude cold region. Pour that stuff in anything that may have water.....