Default 5000 lb lift for moomba max?

Got a great deal on a 5000 lb lift potentially. I would guess this is cutting it close after the max is loaded up? Anyone with experience? Or should I aim to have something bigger?

Thanks

I'd say that's under capacity for a max, would suck to have your brand new boat break a lift and get damaged...
    Boatless for now

Too small. I have a 6600lb Hewitt for my Craz and I thinks it’s a little low. If you have any lead or people in it when you lift, 5000lb WILL break.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

There is a safety factor on a 5000 lb lift...it not gonna just break at 5001 lbs or even 5500 lbs...

That being said, any bit or wear, corrosion, age, etc...Will reduce its safety factor. I wouldn’t risk it...

A Max with full fuel tank is nearly 5000 lbs so I would say that is not adequate enough by the time you factor in gear, any additional lead ballast bags etc.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I went with an 8,000 lb dual motor Doozie Lift for my Max this year. Plenty of head room for lead/gear and for whenever we decide to upgrade in the future to a Supra.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Well I kind of figured that was the answer but I thought I’d ask. Gonna go the the 7k lb lift then. Should be good then. Thanks for the replies.

I would always purchase a bigger lift than you need. I have broken a cable and pulled through my pulleys on a lift that was undersized. Nothing worse than a broken lift in the middle of a season. I woulds also agree with the above comment that if your lift breaks at night or when you aren't there it can damage your boat as well. My buddies lift cable broke this summer which he saw on his cottage cameras but he was 4 hours away so he was frantically calling people while he watched his boat getting hammered on the lift by waves while being stuck on the prop. He joked with me earlier over the summer that it sounded bad when lifting up his MB B52 and said he was over weight on the hoist. Told him to switch it out ASAP because this story never ends well.

I would also say that if you are close on your capacity that you don't want people in the boat when lifting it up out of the water on the hoist either.
    Last edited by watsoc08; 09-20-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by watsoc08 View Post
    I would always purchase a bigger lift than you need. I have broken a cable and pulled through my pulleys on a lift that was undersized. Nothing worse than a broken lift in the middle of a season. I woulds also agree with the above comment that if your lift breaks at night or when you aren't there it can damage your boat as well. My buddies lift cable broke this summer which he saw on his cottage cameras but he was 4 hours away so he was frantically calling people while he watched his boat getting hammered on the lift by waves while being stuck on the prop. He joked with me earlier over the summer that it sounded bad when lifting up his MB B52 and said he was over weight on the hoist. Told him to switch it out ASAP because this story never ends well.

I would also say that if you are close on your capacity that you don't want people in the boat when lifting it up out of the water on the hoist either.
    Good thoughts thanks