Default Made a Really Dumb Mistake - Fuel Tank Question

(2016 Supra SA400) So I was adding Sta-Bil to the fuel tank, finished one bottle and opened a second one. When I opened the new one I peeled the little foil seal off the top and threw it inside the empty bottle. Halfway through I realized the first bottle was much easier to use so I dumped some of the Sta-Bil into the original bottle and dumped it into the tank - foil seal and all. Not sure what I should do, if there is anything I can do and hoping someone here can give me some advice on my birdbrain mistake. The fuel tank is currently full as well.

Thanks,
    Justin
    2016 Supra SA 400

Better in gas tank versus crankcase.

It will float, so as long you don’t run it empty, the fuel pump won’t grab it.

Worse case the pump filter get partially blocked and you may get a engine stumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

On a somewhat related note, a crazy story: I had a complaint of a 10 wheel dump truck that would loose power while cruising down the road. It would slow down and all but kill the engine. Once stopped for a few seconds it would pick back up and run fine. Over and over and over. On a whim I stuck a flashlight inside the tank and found something floating around. I turned two wire coat hangers into chop sticks and went after it. Took a while but I pulled it out. Some one shoved a Styrofoam 7/11 coffee cup in the tank. It would float around and get sucked against the pickup tube under load. When the load went away it would go back to floating around.

I don't know these pickup tubes in these tanks, but I would guess they have a sock filter on the end. If the seal floats around and gets sucked up against the sock, there will still be plenty of flow coming in from all around the sock. I'd finish your season and if you are still concerned try to find it during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Better in gas tank versus crankcase.

It will float, so as long you don’t run it empty, the fuel pump won’t grab it.

Worse case the pump filter get partially blocked and you may get a engine stumble.

Totally agree. I typically never let it get below 1/4 tank so I'll just have to keep up with that and keep an eye on it, so annoyed with myself doing that. Thanks for the input!
    2016 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by UNSTUCK View Post
    On a somewhat related note, a crazy story: I had a complaint of a 10 wheel dump truck that would loose power while cruising down the road. It would slow down and all but kill the engine. Once stopped for a few seconds it would pick back up and run fine. Over and over and over. On a whim I stuck a flashlight inside the tank and found something floating around. I turned two wire coat hangers into chop sticks and went after it. Took a while but I pulled it out. Some one shoved a Styrofoam 7/11 coffee cup in the tank. It would float around and get sucked against the pickup tube under load. When the load went away it would go back to floating around.

I don't know these pickup tubes in these tanks, but I would guess they have a sock filter on the end. If the seal floats around and gets sucked up against the sock, there will still be plenty of flow coming in from all around the sock. I'd finish your season and if you are still concerned try to find it during winter.
    That's pretty wild, would definitely make me scratch my head trying to figure that one out. I was thinking the same about still having enough flow but was looking for some reassurance. The thing was probably 7/16" diameter and ripped in two pieces.
    2016 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Jmm137 View Post
    That's pretty wild, would definitely make me scratch my head trying to figure that one out. I was thinking the same about still having enough flow but was looking for some reassurance. The thing was probably 7/16" diameter and ripped in two pieces.

You're fine, there's a pretty large filter on the pump with lots of surface area, the fuel is going to slosh the paper around the tank it'll either float or sink. If you're really worried you can pull the floor then the pump and fish it out. I'd leave for the next guy cleaning the tank...hehehehe
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I despise the foil seals on most automotive fluids.

If you need to control flow, you can make a vented hole in the foil, but 99% of the time I peel it off before it goes near fill tube.

Hate those things.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Agreed! I made a habit out of always peeling them off, now I will take them directly to the trash. Lesson learned.
    2016 Supra SA 400