Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Supra tower camera option

For those that have the tower camera option on the Supra, what are your general thoughts on it?

Can you record with it or is it effectively just a rear view mirror?

It’s $600 option, I skipped it on my 2018 due to the design flaw where the Bimini blocked the view.

Do the the newer Supra vision screens link go pros at all?

Thinking a go pro is greater than tower camera option.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I have it and I love it. I tow tubes behind me and wakeboarders, it is great for keeping an eye on the riders. I have the rear mirror over the passenger side windshield so its out of my way and keep the camera on the center screen, so no matter where I look I have a visual of my riders. Would not go without it now.
    You cannot record, It is a fancy rear view mirror, The Supra vision system is supposed to work with Gopro, but I have tried with both our Gopro hero 3+ and our newer GoPro 8 and neither will link with the supra vision. I have researched on various threads and many are complaining of the same issue. Apparently some people are able to link the Gopro 7, Not sure what problem is but skiers choice is not rushing to fix it. I keep hoping they'll acknowledge it and release a software fix. As it stands, I still have to control it with my phone, just keep phone on the wireless charger.

I think the rear camera was a wise choice and would get it again. My wife also loves it.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Thank you sir, that is the type of feedback I was looking for.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I love the tower camera, I don't even have a rear view mirror in the boat.
    The transom camera is useless IMO the option should be the other way around.

I have two complaints with it though, the Bimini still interferes with it. Even with it extended it still blocks the top 1/8th of the screen or so. With the bimini stowed it completely covers the camera.

Secondly no record option.

For the gopro link to work you have to turn 5ghz off on the gopro, dunno why.
    It works-ish sometimes. We hooked it up twice and never again.
    It may be nice if there are only two people in the boat and you want to drive and work the gopro but otherwise just hand the camera to someone else.
    You can just as easily run the gopro app on your phone in the wireless charger and have more control anyway.

I'd MUCH rather have the tower camera record than have the gopro integration personally.
    2020 Supra SA

The tower camera is a nice option to have but I almost never use it. I always have the transom cam on the screen, because it's easier to see your surfer when they're in the water. Plus since I put my HRD racks on the tower, most of the view is blocked anyway.

As for the Gopro, my Hero 6 links to the boat fine, but the picture glitches and freezes. The record/stop button still works, but you can't see what it sees. When I use the gopro (which isn't often, it's a pain in many other ways) I use my phone app. It's glitchy as well, but not as bad as the Vision screen.
    2019 Supra SL450

Is the resolution of the tower camera better than the transom camera? The transom camera is not very good.

I am disappointed that SC did not resolve the camera interference with the Bimini

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I had heard they have better resolution cameras now than my 2019, but on mine no it's not, which is another reason I don't use it.
    2019 Supra SL450

I find the resolution to be perfectly fine (2020)
    It's not gopro quality but more than adequate for watching the surfer. 720p-ish I'd say.
    2020 Supra SA

In my experience, the bimini only interferes if the rear portion is extended. Otherwise, it works fine.

On the Gopro, I've tried switching to 2.4 ghz and still no conection.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    In my experience, the bimini only interferes if the rear portion is extended. Otherwise, it works fine.

On the Gopro, I've tried switching to 2.4 ghz and still no conection.
    for me if the rear portion is not extended the excess fabric falls in front of the camera. I suppose if I lifted it up over the pull point it would stay up but then i wouldn't be able to surf.
    How are you situating it that it doesn't block the camera?
    2020 Supra SA