Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2021 Kaiyen or Mondo

Looking to buy our first boat in the spring. Having a hard time deciding on a model because our SLC dealer has nothing to look at. Also Having a hard time committing 100k on something I’ve never seen in person.
    Should I save 15k and go with a Mondo (haven’t seen)? We will be riding with a small crew of two or three adults and two young children. Any thought on model we should look at?

Our boat days will most likely be 60% chilling, 30% surf and 10% wakeboarding. Beginner and wakeboarding and wake surfing but I think I will pick up pretty fast (surfed some in ocean and snowboard a lot) Expert at chilling.

Craz would be a great boat to look at also. A little less $ than the Kaiyen.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

A demo on moomba likely will disappoint.

They all need extra ballast to shine. I would also take a look at the redesigned moomba Mojo, should be announced this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Should I look at another brand? Moomba isn’t doing demos near me. Axis has a demo this week but IMO they look really cheap compared to the Moomba. We have looked at the MC NXT and like it okay but again haven’t been on the water in one.
    I know we can’t get everything we want for 100k (which is a little crazy to me), wife is more concerned about the look and feel and I’m worried about the wave, hard to make us both happy without going to 135k and up.

Up to you if you want to shop brands. All make good boats.

Just don’t expect each brands entry level to surf out of the box. Entry level for all brands are built lighter and just require more ballast.

For example. A 23 foot Moomba max weighs 4500# no ballast compared to a 22.5 foot Supra SA at 5800# no ballast so it’s already a 1300# disadvantage. You can add optional ballast to catch up, but most dealers won’t do it or don’t know how to do it on a demo.

What I can tell you is Moombas surf as good or better than their competitors and you get the most bang for your buck. You will get plenty of help on this forum to make a great wave.

I would say at best, a demo will let you feel the space, the boat drive ability, visibility etc.

One thing to be aware of, pay attention to bow rise while surfing. One huge bonus of Moomba/Supra is they keep bow rise down while surfing, typically in the 7.5 to 9 degree range.

Axis/bu are 12-13 deg with their power wedge, Mastercraft could be even higher.

I am always amazed when I see a bu or MC surfing and feel bad for the guy driving them.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Larry is spot on. I would still demo the boats, all of them you're interested in. Some may surf a little better than others but there will always be compromises. Best to crawl over all the boats you're interested in and demo them on the water. No reason for your Moomba dealer to not demo unless he thinks you're just tire kicking. Also get to know each dealer. We went with a Moomba knowing it wasn't going to throw the biggest stock wave compared to other competition but I knew its potential once you add the blallast and the overall fit and finish was much better than others. For us it checked all the boxes.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I just realized you said Salt Lake City, Marine Products is your dealer and they are very good.

They participate on this forum.

I think you are in great hands.

That said, not too many dealers have boats right now due to a hottttttt boat market from the pandemic. It’s insane.

So my take is, if they are sold out at the moment, moombas must be the desired boat.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I posted a similar thread yesterday. I’m also in SLC. I’ve always been impressed with MP. They have good guys and have been very patient with me over the last 3-4 years even when I ended up not buying from them. Twice.
    Demos are hard to come by right now. There are a couple great moombas on KSL right now. You might want to see if they will give you a water test. I found a nice Max that came up yesterday I’m actually heading out now to demo. Guy says he has the wave dialed in and loaded with extra ballast. I should get a much better idea from this test than a dealer test ride.

Quote Originally Posted by RidePC View Post
    Looking to buy our first boat in the spring. Having a hard time deciding on a model because our SLC dealer has nothing to look at. Also Having a hard time committing 100k on something I’ve never seen in person.
    Should I save 15k and go with a Mondo (haven’t seen)? We will be riding with a small crew of two or three adults and two young children. Any thought on model we should look at?
    The Mondo is a foot shorter, so if space matters, that's a consideration. However, of all the SC boats, the Mondo should surf awesome right out of the box. 3700 lbs stock ballast in a 20.5 ft boat is great. I had a 14 Mondo with about 4k, and it made a killer wave. The 2021 is redesigned and seems legit.

I've heard that the new Mojo coming out will basically be a 2.5 ft longer version of the Mondo, and should (hopefully) come in well under 100k. I have some friends who are waiting to see details on it before deciding between Mojo and Makai.
    2019 Supra SL450