Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

In my experience it’s the prop rotation that has made the regular side wave far superior to the goofy side. So if the max or craz is better in the regular side that says something about the hull or surf systems because all the props are spinning the same way.

On my Max the regular side is a little longer and wave shape a bit more rounded on the top than my goofy side. The goofy side for me tends to be steeper wall and have more of a waterfall curl in the back of the wave. This was with AutoWake turned on so no telling what the surf plates were for each side but these were default AutoWake settings -3 degrees roll regular and IIRC -5 degrees roll for goofy. Regardless of AW settings or manual the wave shapes I mentioned and characteristics are about the same.

Last edited by haknslash; 09-08-2020 at 05:46 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

We finally got to test a Max last night. It was a good experience. The owner was great guy who answered all our questions and really let us experiment with the wave. The boat had the stock 3000 pounds, 1000 in lead and a 650 bag on the seat in the bow. Surfing just like that I felt the wave was good enough given a bit of boat chop on the water. We then filled a 1000 pound bag I brought with us. It was as far forward on the cabin floor as we could get it. This was the real test. I jumped in the water. The wave really didn't look much different, but it was rock solid. I really liked it. I'm used to surfing fast. We set the cruise for 12.0. It couldn't get there. It was stuck at 11.2. I got in the boat and my daughter got in the water. The owner moved up to the front of the bow while I drove standing in the bow walk way. It got right up to 12.0. My daughter back there was basically giddy. She loved it.
    We were boating at 5500 ft elevation and this boat had the 450 motor, but I don't know what prop. On our way in, running empty, I think I saw 39mph on the screen. Fastest I've ever gone in a tow boat. So I would call this a successful test.

We have another test with a 400 boat tonight. This lake is at 5000 ft. We will bring two 1000 bags with us to try to replicate what we did last night. Supposedly this boat has the 4000 ballast system. If we can even get close to 12 mph tonight we will get a boat with the 400 motor, if not, we will get the 450.

Stay tunned.

high altitude prop?
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

We had another great test last night. This was a boat the dealer uses as a demo. It's a rental boat at Pineview. It was in pretty rough shape, but allowed us to run our test. I'm 99% positive it was the 4000 pound ballast boat. We lifted up the side seats and saw the shallow floor. It was floating a bit which led me to believe there was a full bag under it. The boat did not have the bow filler cushion so we filled a 1000 pound bag in the bow walk way. Not fully full as it was cramped in the walkway. I'd say probably around 800 pound though. We filled a second 1000 bag full right behind it, next to the driver seat. I set the cruise at 12.0 and took off. It had no issue at all getting to 12.0. I was really surprised. The weight was further back in the bow than the night before so I thought it would struggle because of that, not just the weaker motor.
    I do not know what props were on these boats, but I would guess the standard "high altitude" prop. I'm now kicking myself for not looking at the RPMs on these boats during the tests. RPMs on my past boats have always been a priority to watch and I didn't even think of it these times. I will say the engine noise sounded very similar between the two. It was so loud that I had to almost shout at people sitting next to me. The engines didn't sound screaming fast, just loud. I found it odd that the 2019 (the 450 boat) had most of the noise coming from the cup/storage area right behind the driver seat. Led me to wonder how/if these boats are sound insulated at all. The 450 had a FAE installed and the 400 did not. The 400 was just as loud, but for the first time in a long time I noticed exhaust smell while surfing. So the FAE is worth the purchase for smell, not noise reduction.

Bottom line takeaways: If we decide to build a Max, we will not option the 450 motor as the 400 works just fine at 5000' with close to 6000 in water weight and with 1000 in people weight. We will add the FAE. I would option the new larger 7" screen. The older smaller one is stupid (I'm coming from the BIG Tige screen). Looks like autowake is standard now. I would have done without it. I look forward to getting the quote on a boat we built on the website. Hopefully it works out.

We have the 400 in a Mojo and have not seen it struggle at all. One word of morning on the surf pipe/FAE: If you enjoy waterskiing, the surf pipe will really make a mess of the wake. My brother in law has it on his Supra SE and it is very messy for water-skiers. We don't have it on our Mojo and it is a very clean wake.

Personally would not own a boat without a Skier’s choice surf pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    My brother in law has it on his Supra SE and it is very messy for water-skiers. We don't have it on our Mojo and it is a very clean wake.
    Waterskiing behind an SE? And you blame it on the surf pipe.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Waterskiing behind an SE? And you blame it on the surf pipe.
    Was thinking same and how can you quantify that the surf pipes causes it exactly, unless they ski behind a SE without a surf pipe.

Sounds like “bro science”
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

My "bro science" tells me I will live a lot longer and have less surgeries if my boat stays at or under 12 mph. No skiing or wakeboarding for me.