Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Max vs Craz: Surf Wave Only

Looking hard at a new max or craz. All I care about is the surf wave. There are no boats around to demo. Dealer even tried asking recent buyers to give us a pull. We’d like to place an order but don’t know which way to go. We plan on likely going ballast crazy and probably will modify the surf system as needed like we have done on past boats we’ve owned. I’d call us wave snobs. My daughters can really tell the difference between a good wave and a poor one.
    So for the cost of the two boats is there any reason to pick the craz over the max? Will adding extra ballast or maybe GSA style tabs or anything else ever make the wave better in the craz? Does adding those items to a max make it even better?

Anyone in the Salt Lake area want to get a bunch of gas money for a pull in either boat?

Thanks.

2020Max vs 2020 Craz...stock vs stock, Max wins for surf wave. 2021 Max comes standard with 4000lbs ballast. Should make an even bigger difference.
    2018 Moomba Max - 400 Raptor - 6 pump ballast - auto wake 2 - flow 2 - gps zero off

Default Max vs Craz: Surf Wave Only

Max has more surf potential. You can also order it without a surf system. Although not sure what the GSA will give you over the factory flow 2.

Also at your elevation, get the 450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 09-06-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I asked the dealer about the 450. He said they are still running the 400 here with success. I guess no one gets the 450. That seems odd to me. Coming from a tige rzx3 the 440 with 2:1 was barely enough. This is why I need to demo it.

I ran GSA tabs on my tige and was really impressed with the improvement of the wave. I would still use flow 2 to control the tabs. I like to play around and test things to get the most out of the boats we’ve owned.

I believe the new Craz has the newest flow 3.0 where the max only has the flow 2.0, the 3.0 adds a extra acucuator to improve the wave face. Max will have more space but craz is going to have the better wave system. You don't need to change the flow system just add lead, get autowake and the 6 pumps.
    Last edited by parrothd; 09-06-2020 at 07:32 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Parrothd is correct, the Craz does come standard with the 2.0 but you can add 3.0 I don't believe 3.0 is even an option on the Max (doesn't make any sense at all to me). I can't comment on how much better the 3.0 is over the 2.0 but from what i have read the 2.0 can still give you a great wave with the right setup (weight).

I'm in Salt Lake and the dealer told me the same thing about the 400. He said it is plenty good with the new 1.76 transmission and the altitude/surf prop. I'd offer you a demo in my 2021 Craz but i'm still waiting on delivery. Give me a few weeks and i hope to have it.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Parrothd is correct, the Craz does come standard with the 2.0 but you can add 3.0 I don't believe 3.0 is even an option on the Max (doesn't make any sense at all to me). I can't comment on how much better the 3.0 is over the 2.0 but from what i have read the 2.0 can still give you a great wave with the right setup (weight).

I'm in Salt Lake and the dealer told me the same thing about the 400. He said it is plenty good with the new 1.76 transmission and the altitude/surf prop. I'd offer you a demo in my 2021 Craz but i'm still waiting on delivery. Give me a few weeks and i hope to have it.
    I see your coming from an older LSV welcome to the Craz club, upgrage those bags and 500lb lead!
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I have a 2020 Max in Idaho Falls. If you come my way I will give you a pull. I have the 400 and it does fine but I wish I had the 450. More torque is always better right? I run 5,500 lbs of weight plus crew and if I have a large crew I have to put a bunch of weight in the nose to get to speed. Not a huge deal but it’s frustrating to see your boat struggle even when it’s only with large crews. I went with the Max over the craz due to the ability to add more weight and still have a lot of space for storage. My $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not have owned either, but I owned a Mojo which has a hull design close to the Craz. In my mind, the Craz is a better crossover boat, for those who still may want to ski, whereas the Max is more geared towards surf. Either boat is great otherwise.
    I agree with Larry, you're at >4k feet elevation. Looks like you are committed to spending some extra cash if you're considering the 4500$ GSA. I'd say, save the GSA money, the flow 2.0 is plenty good, and put that money towards the 450 engine. You can always upgrade the surf tabs but you can't upgrade the engine, at least not easily.
    Your dealer says OK with the 400, and that is fine for the average buyer who plans on surfing stock and never takes the time to understand or maximize these boats. It sounds like you will plan to add ballast, prolly extra 1k lbs, or more, the 400 engine might be ok stock at that elevation, but you may find it struggles with the extra weight.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost