Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cracks in gelcoat

Have you experienced problems with gelcoats cracking? I was waxing my boat and noticed cracks around almost every area where something is bolted through like the bow eye, three fins on bottom, rudder, prop, swim platform and windsheild. These cracks range from 2" to 5" in length. This can't be normal? Let me know your thoughts.
    Dan

Default YES! 2001 MOBIUS

I have wondered if this has happened to anyone else. I bought mine from Perfomance Marine, Spring Park MN. I guess I made a big mistake by not inspecting the boat real well. When I got home (300+ miles 7 or so hours) I waxed the boat and I noticed 5 cracks, very dissapointing. I contacted Skiers Choice, documented them and had it scheduled for repair. Over the first summer I noticed more and some around the swim platform brackets. The local glass shop ended up glassing in a 1' X 1' piece of aluminum and repairing the top side cracks. So far the swimplatform has held up but the top side cracks have continued to grow in numbers around 25 or 30 now and both on the topside and bottom. It was scheduled for return to the factory over the 02'/03' winter but that fell through and we are going to try it again this winter. I hope Rob comes through this time.
    I love the boat and I get lots of compliments but a $30,000 boat should not be cracking like this! I would like an official response from Skiers Choice on how this will be fixed and not return. This is a REAL problem and it needs to be addressed. Contact your boat shop or Skiers Choice for warrenty repairs.

View my rig http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/olgoat196...src=ph&.view=t
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

I have a Red 2003 Outback with just 10 hours, this is very disappointing. I'm sure it can be fixed but is still heartbreaking that after spending this much money on a boat you need to send it in for repairs after such few hours. Thanks for your response, I would like to view a response from Brian Raymond if he would be so kind.
    Dan

Default Gelcoat cracks after 4 hours

I just bought a new 03 mobius V. It only had .9 hour on it
    when I test drove it. The day after I took delivery on it, I noticed cracks in the gelcoat on passanger side around the glovebox. I looked over the whole boat to see if there were any other cracks. No cracks found. Took it to get the cracks fixed. The day I picked it up and brought home, I noticed even more cracks around the left front rub rail. This is very upsetting since my wife and I have been saving to buy this boat for 3 years. Now I feel like I bought a P.O.S. Can anyone give me any insight?
    Keaton

Same situation here.

I purchased a 2002 outback and had around 15 to 20 cracks after the first season. All were spidering up from under the rub rail. My dealer repaired everthing over the winter months and things were looking good until about half way through this season. I had around 10 to 15 cracks by the time I wrapped up for the season. Not sure if these were new ones or old ones that came through again.

I also had several coming from around the windshield mounts during the first season. Dealer explained that they needed to remount the windshield because they had trouble with the screws stripping out. That seemed to have worked. Did not have any cracks around the windshield this year.

Dealer plans on fixing the cracks again this winter. Interested to see how many I get in season number three.

I would like to know if Skiers Choice just plans on repairing this every year or if they are going to come up with a permanent solution. Starting to have serious questions whether I would purchase another Skiers Choice product. The only reason I've stayed with it this long is that my dealer has been extremely understanding of the matter.

Just my long 2 cents.

Later - Doc

Default gelcoat cracks

The warranty says its only good for gelcoat for 1 year. Its good to see that they're still fixing them after 2 years. I looked on the supra web site and search they're bulletin board for gelcoat problems. I couldn't find one complaint on cracking gelcoat problems. Why is supra not having this problem if the molds are done the same way as moomba? I called the warranty department at skiers choice today. Talked to a guy named Luss. He said that cracks showing up is normal due to the boat settling on the trailer. Can you believe that load of crap. Iv owned 2 other boats and have never seen gelcoat cracks, and there on a cheap trailer. Im telling you their somthing wrong with moomba's molding process. Take a look at the number of complaints on gelcoat cracks in this bulletin board. I bet mastercraft or malibu doesn't have as many complaints on gelcoat cracks. I know that these cracks are cosmetic and arn't detramental to the boat but its the point of spending this amout of money on a brand new boat and having these kind of problems. My 94 Invader doen't have on crack on it. It 10 years old! I wish I would have saved more money and bought a better product. I could have saved myself the embarrassment the my family and friends. They tried to tell me not to buy a moomba but I said "no they've changed". Lord was I sooo mistaken. Now I have to try and sell a POS to an individual with no transferable warranty. Sorry your having trouble with yours too.
    Keaton

Default Cracking on SC

Keaton, I realize that having purchased an expensive toy only to have problems with it is a bummer. But if you look at the positive posts compared to the negatives about the Moomba line I think you'll find that it far out ways them. I purchased my first boat last year, an 03 Outback, put 50 hours on it over the summer, and didn't have an issue one. Sold it at the end of the summer for what I paid for it and the new owner was very pleased. I've going to order a 04 Mobius LS during the spring boat show and have no reservations. As far as the other manufacturers are concerned, they have their issues, they just seem more wide spread since they usually make twice as many or more boats a year than SC. So there are more satisfied customers to out way the bad.
    Just my .02 cents.

DMC, Tell the truth, you are going to get the boat at dealer cost which is considerably lower than the rest of us out here are paying so of course it is a great deal for you. And you could get rid of them before they fall apart. For everyone's information the '02 that DMC sold went for $25,500 (tower, tower speakers, amp, Seris/cd/mp3 radio, bimini, and canvas), and the reason why he was selling it was "must go, baby on the way" now I know what the baby was.
    This isn't written out of hate towards you but I feel people should know the story behind what you are telling.
    You don't know unless you try

Actually on the other boards I visit there have been numerous complaints about other more expensive boats having gel coat problems as well as other more serious stuff. I put over 275 hours on my boat w/out any gel coat problems. I think it is similiar to the age old ford/chevy debate. I have had real bad luck w/ GM and will never buy another one, however I have met plenty of people who think that GM's are really well built and think I'm crazy for buying Ford/Dodge

You sure are crazy for buying a ford or a dodge(couldn't let that one go)

I have mixed feelings on the gelcoat issue. I have been told that new epa regulations are part to blame. Not 100% sure I believe that, my boat is waiting on repairs. I have around 50small gelcoat cracks form the rub rail up.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!